Best place to scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"The problem with Bonaire is that there is nothing to do but dive." -----------Sounds good to me. Too bad the flights are so expensive and connections are so long. Druther go to Coz or Upper Keys. Cheaper and easier/faster to get to.

Come on guys, there is a lot to do on Bonaire. You get to visit two or three grocery stores to find everything on your list. There are a lot of overpriced restaurants to eat at. And lets not forget the Donkey Sanctuary. The island has great reefs, but without them no one would ever visit Bonaire.

It would be a lot easier to make recommendations if you filled out your profile. Bonaire would be my first recommendation for a beginner, especially if you are close to Newark Airport. The diving is very good, as easy as diving in a swimming pool, and it's a direct flight on Continental. (Bonaire is one of the Netherlands Antilles, as is Saba. Saba has good diving, but is not a beginner's destination from what I understand--I haven't been there.)

What's your budget like? The Turneffe Island Lodge is very close to some of the best diving in Belize (and where in Belize you dive can make a big difference) and is currently running a two-for-one plus $300 for terrific accommodations on a private island. Not a five star hotel, but quite comfortable, and what it lacks in luxury it makes up for in seclusion. Only 22 guests on the island. Turneffe is also a destination for fishermen, apparently. Peter Hughes is running a "buddy weeks" promotion, where the buddy goes for 75% off. A liveaboard in Belize would offer great, fairly easy diving. The Aggressor is also discounting their Belize trips, I believe. In my opinion, the diving on the outer atolls of Belize is the best in the Caribbean.

Let us know if topside activities are a priority. That might rule Bonaire out for some people, but if your idea of topside activity is sailing, boardsailing, or visiting the donkey sanctuary, you'd be good. Little Cayman, likewise, has nothing to do but dive, but the diving is quite good.

thanks again for all the info. I think i am going to go with Puerto Rico. With that said what side of the island is the best place to dive? Or is it easy to get to around. I was thinking i would hook up with one of the dive shops and do their day trips. If i remember right one of them offers day packages. i will be a single diver and will need to buddy up with a group or another diver. Any ideas?
thakns

Back
Top Bottom