Best reg for under $300?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubafire:
Well true I am not certified as of yet but I did dive once in Cozumel. It was considered the first of four certification dives. We did it on a cruise ship and I was hooked. I know I am going to enjoy diving...no doubt in my mind. (Only problem thus far is finding a girl who will do it as well ;-) My total budget is about $700. I figured I can just buy a reg and bc and rent gauges and an octo. Bad plan? Any more advice? Thanks for the help.

Consider the regulator, Octo and guages as a single item.

If your total budget is $700, you may want to rent for awhile, find out what you like and dislike about the different equipment you rent. You may be surprised at some of your findings.

But, If that budget is burning a hole in your rented wetsuit...

Ask you LDS (Local Dive Shop) what they can outfit you with on that budget. You may find out that an instructor has been looking for that extra cash to upgrade his gear, and you walk out fully outfitted. Check around at several dive shops.

Ask about class gear. Some shops change out their gear every year, others... not so often. But, they usually rebuild regs, octos, etc. before they sell them at reduced prices (You need to know what to look for if you do this one... and your experience level doesn't make me encourage you for this route)

LDS class gear sale (mine rebuilds them before they sell them):
Scubapro - MK25 with S600 - $249.00

New - Genesis React Pro 3-guage with Nitrox computer - $329.00

New Octo - $54.99

CoolTech:
Consider the regulator, Octo and guages as a single item.

[/COLOR]

Good Point

When I got my fist set up I started with the BC b/c of my LDS recomendations. I used it with rental reg,octos and gauges for several years be for buying my reg. Now I've gone through two sets for Regs and still have the same scuba pro jacket bc. Good thing I like the jacket style like previously mentioned.

Today, if I was just starting out I'd get the Reg Octo and gauges first b/c I dont like putting my mouth on other peoples rigs. Here in FL some dive boats require at least one diver in a pair to have a computer.

I'd start with a pistion style first stage scubapro R190, a Oceanic Alpha 8, sherwood brut/magnum, Zeagle Envoy ReZort, etc. Get the cheapest octo you can find new with a warranty of course and spend the rest on a computer. Then by the BC and continue to upgrade from there until your happy. And like most on these equipment threads you'll always want to be upgrading to meet your personal taste.

I don't think its a bad idea to buy gear early in your scuba venture. Most of the time the cheapest gear new gear of your own is much better and more compfortable then any rentals.

Also, like someone else mentioned 99% of the time you rent the will not break up the gauges and octo, so forget that thought.

serrada:
Good Point

When I got my fist set up I started with the BC b/c of my LDS recomendations. I used it with rental reg,octos and gauges for several years be for buying my reg. Now I've gone through two sets for Regs and still have the same scuba pro jacket bc. Good thing I like the jacket style like previously mentioned.

Today, if I was just starting out I'd get the Reg Octo and gauges first b/c I dont like putting my mouth on other peoples rigs. Here in FL some dive boats require at least one diver in a pair to have a computer.

I'd start with a pistion style first stage scubapro R190, a Oceanic Alpha 8, sherwood brut/magnum, Zeagle Envoy ReZort, etc. Get the cheapest octo you can find new with a warranty of course and spend the rest on a computer. Then by the BC and continue to upgrade from there until your happy. And like most on these equipment threads you'll always want to be upgrading to meet your personal taste.

I don't think its a bad idea to buy gear early in your scuba venture. Most of the time the cheapest gear new gear of your own is much better and more compfortable then any rentals.

Also, like someone else mentioned 99% of the time you rent the will not break up the gauges and octo, so forget that thought.

I still use my original setup.
Conshelf SE 1st stage
Conshelf SE regulator
Conshelf SE octo
Genesis inline 3 guage console

21 years old, and it still breathes the same on the surface as it does at 200 feet, inverted

I let my son use it this past weekend, He asked me why it was soooo easy to breathe

shark.byte.usa:
As someone who purchased all his gear either during or right after OW, I say wait a little while, not to see if you like scuba or not, just to let info soak in and you can make a more informed decision [and maybe have a little more money], I would have done some things differently had I waited even a month but two would have been better.

Good luck...

I agree completely! I also purchased all my gear right after OW because I couldn't wait to get back on the water and ditch the rental gear (different every time)
I could have saved quite a bit of money had I waited just a few weeks... Now I purchased top of the line gear (Apeks Reg, Aqualung BCD, Suunto Computer, etc.) and I'm quite happy with it, but I learned a lot more putting together a back up set up using all used gear (only the second stage is new) for a quarter of the price and it dives as well as my brand new gear!

Research, check out ebay and your LDS ask around read this board and different opinions. Ask people with gear that you think you may want to buy how they feel about it? Maybe even ask if you can try it... but the best advice I would give you is to have patience!

Good luck,
Wys.

Id start with a wetsuit, mask and a snorkel I remember in my open water cert I just hated the fact that I was putting something on that many many people have urinated in. Plus a poor fitting wetsuit does not keep in the warmth.

Concerning the face mask, I have a face full snot usually so I guess others do as well. Also my face is difficult to fit and have 5 almost brand new mask sitting on my dive rack.

I consider the above as personal gear..ya know like underwear so that was never figured in on my budget. When I travel now on business and there is a chance that I might go diving....the above mentioned is what I bring.

For the regulator....why limit yourself on a life sustaining piece of equipement used in a fairly risk activity. If you were parachutting would want a the cheapest parachutte made from the lowest quality material? I think not....so think of the regulator in the same mannor. But if low cost is the main point I guess I would go with a regulator that is tried and true....not alot of bells and whistles and has been manufactured for a long period of time.

Do a search for Dive-Rite RG2500. They list for closer to $425 without the cold water kit, but I've heard of them going for under $300 and got mine for just a little over that last time around. The cold water kit adds about $20 to the price. Whichever reg you buy though, consider what hose setup you want. If you prefer a 7ft primary hose for example, then it's probably cheaper to get it as part of the reg purchase rather than to replace the standard hoses most regs come with later on. Some manufacturer even do it free of charge.

I'd also consider a wetsuit and BC purchase before getting a reg; those will have a more immediate impact on your diving comfort and fit is very important.

As far as a cheap, reliable reg, think about the SP MK2/R190. Bulletproof and easily serviced anywhere. For $300 you could probably find the reg and an octo, maybe a little more $ for a SPG and you're set. But, really, any decent company's entry level reg, (like zeagle, aqualung, SP) is going to work fine. It's tough to buy a lousy reg these days.

I am just worried about how I've heard it becomes more difficult to breathe at deeper depths (40+ft) with certain regs such as the bottom line sherwood. I don't know much about it but I don't want to worry about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom