Best regulator for tech and cave diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You used to be able to upgrade the TX40 to effectively be a TX50 just by adding the cracking adjustment knob. Not 100% positive that's true of the XTX line, but it likely is. Apeks seconds aren't really my forte, though their DS4 1st stages are used on my rEvo.

There is a guy on UK eBay that sells the knobs and ships to the US. He says you can use the knob with the ATX-40 and XTX-40. His knob is based on the old TX design without the micro adjuster. If you watch the video he adds the knob in less than 10 minutes.

---------- Post added February 25th, 2015 at 07:40 PM ----------

Def cheaper that is for sure.

This one I am keen on:

Cave Adventurers - HOG D3 w/ Zenith Sidemount Regulator Package - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!

Its sidemount.

Thanks again.

Here are some options: https://www.divegearexpress.com/sidemount/regs.shtml

Looking at the CA site they have similar packages cheaper. I would double-check with Edd about which he would recommend. I am not sure if the Hogs have reversible hoses on the second stages, I am pretty sure the Dive Rites do. To me at least the Dive Rites are better looking.

There is a guy on UK eBay that sells the knobs and ships to the US. He says you can use the knob with the ATX-40 and XTX-40. His knob is based on the old TX design without the micro adjuster. If you watch the video he adds the knob in less than 10 minutes.

---------- Post added February 25th, 2015 at 07:40 PM ----------

Here are some options: https://www.divegearexpress.com/sidemount/regs.shtml

Looking at the CA site they have similar packages cheaper. I would double-check with Edd about which he would recommend. I am not sure if the Hogs have reversible hoses on the second stages, I am pretty sure the Dive Rites do. To me at least the Dive Rites are better looking.

I did the conversion using Apeks parts, it was not surprisingly a little spendy.

Yes, I tried to get some off him(?) a few years ago before he started selling on eBay but missed production run. After which he stopped replying to my emails so gave up.

Apeks DS4/XTX whatever has a cracking adjustment knob if you want diaphragm, cave-ringed Atomic M1 if you want piston.

Would not bother with the M1 for anything except deco regs. Z2 unsealed is all you need + cave ring fits if it is a mandate. I have ST1 and M1. 8 sets in total.

Apeks DS4 with xtx50 is all you need there. Save money on the high end models, they are not needed and performance is no better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beware, that price will not last much longer as the MAP has gone up significantly, that same package is now listing at $979 at Dive Right in Scuba, and that is where Cave Adventurers will be moving as stock runs out.

Thanks Tbone I need to make a decision fast.

---------- Post added February 27th, 2015 at 11:51 PM ----------

Dive Rite XT's are reversible like the xtx, Hogs arent. There was a ltd run of reversibles last fall

Did I miss something because I have no idea what reversible means, or why I would want it?!

On the Poseidon website it says that their regs are only good UP TO 21% O2 which seemed strange.
The Cyklon, Jetstream and Xstream Deep are certified and approved with gas mixes that contains a maximum of 21% oxygen.
Thank you I will check out those deals.

I suggest that you purchase dedicated regulators for your ean50 and ean100 tanks. Especially, never use the ean100 regulator with anything else than pure oxygen.

If you are planning to dive to the depths of your TEC50 course, "max 21% oxygen" will not be a problem. Plus, Poseidon have a separate regulator model Xstream Duration that is 100% oxygen compatible.

I have about a dozen Poseidon Cyklons (the older, but, very tough model). I dive my Poseidons in quite tough environments: cold water (even just below freezing), deep, mud/sand/silt, mines/caves, DPV and all combinations of these. In Europe, there used to be a separate Oxygen upgrade/service kit for Cyklons. But due to EU legalities changing, it might be difficult to get these anymore.

Until this year there was (justifiable) concern of Poseidon spare parts availability. However, beginning from this year, you are able to get all relevant Poseidon spare parts from Dive Gear Express.

Did I miss something because I have no idea what reversible means, or why I would want it?!

Reversible means the second stage can be change to where the hose connects to the left hand side instead off the default right side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reversible means the second stage can be change to where the hose connects to the left hand side instead off the default right side.

Just add a bit. Reversible regulators may be important for side-mounting because of better hose routing. Although some people do use conventional regulators. I looked into taking a side mount class a while ago and the recommendations were first stages should have turrets and a bottom port is good to have. The first stages should be reversible. Reversible second stages are the Apeks XTX line, Dive Rite XT, Hog Switchback, Scubapro G260 and 190,195 (not sure of the others) and side exhaust regulators like the Omega/Hollis.

---------- Post added February 27th, 2015 at 06:04 AM ----------

Dive Rite XT's are reversible like the xtx, Hogs arent. There was a ltd run of reversibles last fall

From what I remember when the Zenith was introduced it was reversible and replaced the switchback in the lineup. As time went on no mention was made again the reversibility of the regulators. The Dive Rites are reversible, less expensive, and IMHO better looking, I am not sure what HOG is thinking.

Back
Top Bottom