Best regulator for tech and cave diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most people don't care about reversible, but it allows you to put the hose on the other side of the second stage. This only matters for goofy house routings and I have only found one good use for it: front mounted left side stages in sidemount

Until this year there was (justifiable) concern of Poseidon spare parts availability. However, beginning from this year, you are able to get all relevant Poseidon spare parts from Dive Gear Express.

Not to argue but until Poseidon establishes a solid track record for parts availability then there is always a justifiable concern. DGX used to sell Hollis and Hog regulators in the past also, there is no guarantee they will sell Poseidon regulators in the future.

The HOG Zenith is available in a reversible and is in stock. I can still get them. Just as a FYI, I'm placing an order with HOG later today. If anyone wants one let me know before 5 pm.

Most people don't care about reversible, but it allows you to put the hose on the other side of the second stage. This only matters for goofy house routings and I have only found one good use for it: front mounted left side stages in sidemount

My recommendation was to talk to the instructor first. The OP seems to be reluctant to do so. I think it may be better to have reversible regulators than not, especially when they are the same price. But you are right probably only 1 reversible second stage is needed. I bought Hog Switchbacks when Diver's Supply was closing them out for $59 each.

If you are planning to dive to the depths of your TEC50 course, "max 21% oxygen" will not be a problem. .

Ok thank you.

---------- Post added February 28th, 2015 at 10:24 AM ----------

Reversible means the second stage can be change to where the hose connects to the left hand side instead off the default right side.

Good to know, thank you.

---------- Post added February 28th, 2015 at 10:26 AM ----------

The HOG Zenith is available in a reversible and is in stock. I can still get them. Just as a FYI, I'm placing an order with HOG later today. If anyone wants one let me know before 5 pm.

I emailed them just now.
I like the Hog D3.

---------- Post added February 28th, 2015 at 10:29 AM ----------

My recommendation was to talk to the instructor first. The OP seems to be reluctant to do so..

I spoke to the guy.
At this stage I will just be doing the cave course and will leave the tech course for later on.
I am not too sure on how/if the tech course will make me more employable so will put the idea of doing it on hold for now.

I spoke to the guy.
At this stage I will just be doing the cave course and will leave the tech course for later on.
I am not too sure on how/if the tech course will make me more employable so will put the idea of doing it on hold for now.
I thought the normal practice is Full tec first before proceeding to cave/wreck.

I thought the normal practice is Full tec first before proceeding to cave/wreck.

I imagine it depends on the agency. The usual practice is to take cavern before cave.

regarding reversibles there are two common regulator configurations. One has the left hose come up and around the neck and the long hose loop around the chest and the hoses look and behave like those for backmount doubles. This is how Edd Sorensor and his instructors teach as well as the Razor/xDeep crowd. The other common one is to have the left side reversed and comes straight up to the mouth, right side is normal and comes straight up to the mouth. Pros and cons. If you have Apeks XTX, Dive Rite XT, or Poseidons it is a nonissue, with Hog you have to ask to get the reversible Zeniths, and you have to make sure not to lose parts *I sent emails of how the XTX reverses to Jack this summer, he had never seen the XTX and didn't know how the reversing mechanism works, not a particularly comforting model for competitive analysis right there, but it's 100% idiotic they don't have something out like the XT or XTX that is reversible, there's really no excuse for it at this point*.

If you are choosing right now I wouldn't place tremendous merit on having the ability to reverse, but it is very convenient for left mounted stage/deco bottles, and I prefer them for the left side short hose since I don't like hoses wrapping around my body. With the price of the Hog's right now, just grab them and if you decide you really need the reversing regulators, then you can relegate the Hog second stages to stage bottles, and get different ones for backgas, doesn't really matter. If you are planning on taking cave, talk to your instructor, if you're planning on taking cave in sidemount in the US, call Cave Adventurers and buy from them, they will mak sure you are taken care of.

You used to be able to upgrade the TX40 to effectively be a TX50 just by adding the cracking adjustment knob. Not 100% positive that's true of the XTX line, but it likely is. Apeks seconds aren't really my forte, though their DS4 1st stages are used on my rEvo.

You can buy the twiddly knob for about $5 off of ebay and there is a very informative and step by step video instruction on youtube. however, i have atx40s, and haven't bothered adding the twiddly knob. don't really see a need for it

call Cave Adventurers and buy from them, they will mak sure you are taken care of.

Thanks Tbone, already talked to the guy and its all good.

If I was to make the Hogs reversible, do I use the same bit of kit from Ebay that another person mentioned on this thread?

Back
Top Bottom