Best shark dive sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The tiger sightings at that spot tend to be a little more prevalent in the late summer/early fall when the fishing's good. A lot of fishermen throw carcasses into the harbor, puts out a good scent for the sharks. This last year it seemed there were a lot fewer sightings than in years previous... funny thing, we're having turtles more commoly at nearby Turtle Pinnacle than we have had the last couple years, it got to where we were referring to it as Turtle Cynical, we've been seeing them there a lot the last couple of months.

I dropped in at the "spot" this past Tuesday morning...as soon as I got to the bottom (109') We had 3 Sandbar sharks come right up on us, assumably looking for a handout! they were close enough to see their whiskers. They departed just a quickly as they appeared. Good times albeit no Tiger sighting!

Steve, I stopped by your store a week ago late Friday but missed you. Catch you on the next one.

I don't think anybody has mentioned the name of the spot with possible tiger and sandbar sightings (and if they have, I'm too tired to go back and double check), but I'm pretty sure they are talking about the green can outside of Honokohau harbor. It is a healthy swim from shore and if the sharks don't show, you will be staring at a lot of sand.

Another good bet would be if you can find a ride to deep south Kona. Few operators will go far enough south, but I've been there twice and been cruised by hammerheads the first time and saw a whale shark the second. If the sharks don't show up, at least the scenery is better than just sand.

We did the Molokai hammerhead dive in September 2010 and were able to see 8-10 hammers up close. The trip was through Lahaina Divers, and at that time Extended Horizons was not running this trip... the best dive I've had thus far.

Attachments

• Hammerhead Group 1.jpg
    Hammerhead Group 1.jpg
    414.8 KB · Views: 320
halemanō;5748958:
The only ocean "divers" that really get to dive "with" tiger sharks in the Main Hawaiian Islands are free dive hunters who string their catch on their hip. :D

The only scuba divers I know of that have made dives "with" A tiger shark have been those who made the Maui Aquarium dive; the most expensive recreational dive in the Hawaiian Islands.

There are recreational scuba divers who have briefly seen a tiger shark while diving, but usually the shark flees before anyone even gets a picture, and most of those are solo dives so there is not even a corroborating witness.

The only hammer head diving that I have heard of is off Molokai, and the only operator who schedules that dive claims a 60-70% success rate, but at least in some cases it's just a fleeting glimpse at the edge of human visibility.

:coffee:
I saw a really big female tiger on the back wall of Molokini 3 years ago. The current was really ripping, like hanging off an airplane wing, and she hung around a while. We are going back to Maui and Big Island in June...fingers and toes crossed we'll see somehing else great. We also saw the big pod of dolphins in Cathedrals. There were maybe 75 in the pod. Luckily the video guy was with us!

We see a tiger shark every now and then. It's certainly not a regular siting, but it's common enough not to surprise us. (Well, I'm sure it surprises us when we first spot it!) I remember several months ago (may have been longer than that...time flies) there were a few days that there were several (I think 3) tiger sharks in the harbor where we load our boats. Pretty cool! There's no way to schedule a dive to see tiger sharks here. But I half seriously/half jokingly suggest that if you dive with us you request Allison. She's a tiger magnet. She's seen tigers on her dives 10 times in the past 3 years. Doesn't sound like a lot, but we've got guides who have done 2 to 3,000 dives here who have yet to see one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom