Best shark dive sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great White at Molokini.jpg
This is a great white that was visiting Molokini last weekend. Any one up for a shark dive?

Very cool. What part of the crater did you see it? Have only seen grey's and white tips there myself. Plus Andy's (mike severns) video of the tigers feeding on the Manta that got tangled up on a mooring line a few years back.

How come no one mentioned the moi cage site out past Pinnacles near Ewa beach? There are a few moi cages in the water there and underneath a bunch of sharks (Galapagos and Sandbar) hanging in 140fsw. I don't think the fish growing operation is active any more, so who knows how long they'll be there.

Also, you could always follow the shark snorkeling boats out of the N. Shore and head to the snorkeling site in 300fsw. If you got the guts you could roll over the side of your boat no cage! Galapagos and Sandbar there too, every once and a while a tiger, and a few years back Jimmy Hall got famous while taking a picture with a 20' white shark. Hoo ah!

Hammerheads off Molokai at Elephant rock is cool too. We overnight it over there a few time a year mostly for that dive, but the dives off Kalapapa are good too.

RE: "... a few years back Jimmy Hall got famous while taking a picture with a 20' white shark."

Yeah, it made CNN. I was on one of those excursions with the late Jimmy Hall back in '06 (not the one when he saw the Great White - yeah, I know those operations are frowned upon by conservstionists but I was a naive tourist at the time). Saw two Tiger Sharks, a rare privelege I'm told. Hall jumped in with his camera and started filming them immediately.

I thought those shark cage snorkel trips off the north shore were no longer allowed?

We went with Lahaina divers to Molokai and got skunked on the first dive, then saw a group of 6 hammer heads, then a group of 12 hammerheads within the first 10 minutes of the second dive. It's a long rough ride (or was the day we went), but there was a nice reef, and other life including a big eagle ray if no sharks show.

I've seen a shark or three (black and white tip I believe) every time I've dove at Molokini, and this last time we had a HUGE manta on the back wall. My brother did a shark snorkel on Oahu, but I don't know where or with who.

086.jpg098.jpgManta and Matt.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=3681274984459

Just got back from Kona Aggressor, while setting up the tank just outside Honokahou Harbor, saw a fairly large fin, followed by a vertical tail some 5-6 feet back. Apparently there is/are tigers that hang outside the harbor for the fisherman to clean their catch, even got named Laverne (you can google it for the stories and vids). Some dive op apparently starts the dive at the green buoy and apparently often see her.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom