Best time to do the weight check

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your logic is assuming Boyle's law acts instantaneously on a crushed wet suit. I found this is not really true, it take time to return to full bouyancy and being a bad boy, also set my weight for neutral at 10' with 500PSI. I would rather avoid the extra 5lbs and risk having to fin a bit at 5'. At no time do I find myself out of control.

You don't seem nearly as grumpy as Rick.

...while the swing from full to empty on a set of 130's is about 20 pounds.
Aluminum or steel tanks?
Rick's statement goes for a set of 2 steel HP130's (slightly under 10 lbs. of gas in each).
I don't think AL130s are in use within the diving community.

That may be, but one of the purposes of the forum is to teach good diving practices to newer divers. Under-weighting on purpose is simply poor diving practice IMHO. Consider the implications of under-weighting at a dive site with lots of boat traffic. Besides, any air you save by not schlepping that extra 5 pounds on the dive will be lost while you are finning down at shallow depths. Be comfortable and safe at the end of the dive. Weight yourself appropriately.

BTW, I love your username. :D

First, under-weight and over-weight are very relative and subjective terms. What I think is just right, someone else may consider over or under. On scuba board, probably both at the same time.

The more objective goals are:
1) Can I hold my safety stop?
2) Can I control my ascent all the way to the surface?
3) In an emergency, can I duck down again to get under a boat?

I can achieve all of these presently with ease, so I think I am good.

I am not trying to save air by watching my weight. My SAC is good (<.33) for a big guy. It more the question not wanting to deal with more lead topside than needed in cold water exposure suits and less fiddling with the BC down below.

I am not trying to save air by watching my weight. My SAC is good (<.33) for a big guy. It more the question not wanting to deal with more lead topside than needed in cold water exposure suits and less fiddling with the BC down below.
With a SAC that good, if you're buddy diving, your buddy will probably be the limiting factor on your dive. If this is the case, chances are you'll be ending the dive with more gas in the tank than 500 psi. Having that extra ballast should make it easier to control your buoyancy at shallow depths, eh?

You seem to be well aware of the risks of over- and under-weighting. That's something.

Hopefully some newer divers have learned a little from this informative discussion. Stay safe out there...

First, under-weight and over-weight are very relative and subjective terms. What I think is just right, someone else may consider over or under. On scuba board, probably both at the same time.

The more objective goals are:
1) Can I hold my safety stop?
2) Can I control my ascent all the way to the surface?
3) In an emergency, can I duck down again to get under a boat?

I can achieve all of these presently with ease, so I think I am good.

I have the same philosophy with this as you do. I currently use 19 lbs total with 7 mil and hood and have no problem holding horizontal stop at 10' or controlling ascent. I tried adding only 2 extra lbs. yesterday in local lake and was shocked at how clumsy this made me feel underwater. Can only imagine carrying an extra 5 lbs. for the rest of my diving career. I will add that most of my diving is warm water (60 deg. or more), al 80, non-deco, and rarely, if ever, surface with only 500 psi unless I have done so on purpose (vented gas for weight check).

Mathematically Rick M. has us bobbing to the surface and I can't argue with his logic. Nor do I wish to. I am only describing what works for me, and apparently you also. Maybe what you pointed out about delayed expansion of wet suit is the explanation, maybe being horizontal helps a bit, breath control helps a lot. None the less I have never had a problem with shooting to the surface. And I like the idea that I can spend several relaxed minutes at 10', feeling the up and down forces resulting from breathing, knowing that I have control of the situation rather than bobbing vertically on the surface wondering if my lungs are half full and trying to determine if water level is half way up my lenses.

I certainly would agree that this would not be appropriate for a newly certified diver (they are generally heavy anyway), especially on deeper dives with higher nitrogen loading and less gas remaining, and probably should be approached with baby steps and not the day after certification. For the type of diving that I do most often I am very comfortable with my weighting and always in control.

Dive site and dive conditions are also a factor. On a very shallow dive in surgy water I'll probably go for slightly more rather than less weight. For a deeper dive I'll try to get it smack bang on for an easy hold at 5m and a controlled swim to the top.

I think getting weighting right is a largely ignored aspect of diving *in the real world*. I've yet to come across a dive op that really spends much time facilitating it. I like one of earlier posts that suggests hanging back at the end of the first dive an removing or adding weight until correct until called in. That sounds like a solid real-world solution.

J

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom