Best travel route to BVI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Harley1962

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Cay somebody with a bit of experience please advise a "newbie" to this part of the world how one can easily access the BVI, from Los Angeles??

I understand there are NO direct flights from the US, so it appears that one MUST go to either USVI, or San Juan, PR., unless I am mistaken?

What I am wondering is IF there is a reliable and safe ferry service from the USVI to BVI, and the details of that....it appears that although St. John is the closest US Virgin Island (geographically) to the BVI, I believe all international flights to USVI arrive on St. Thomas?

So, is there a ferry from St. Thomas over to Tortola, BVI, and what are the specifics of that?

While going through PR is probably less hassle, it would involve another flight and so far I haven't found a lot of info. on doing that. So if anybody can please "volunteer" how they accomplished going through San Juan, it would be most appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

HB

When we went to the BVI's in the spring, we flew into St. Thomas and took the ferry to Tortola. Very easy to - only a 10 min ride from the airport. Fast Ferry will even make arrangements for a cab to take you to the ferry, from the ferry in Tortola to your hotel and then the same for your return. Total cost was about $10 more than if you make all the arrangements yourself - but worth it for the hassle-free factor. Also, if you miss the last ferry from St. Thomas (and they booked you for it), they will take you to Red Hook for the late ferry, at no additional cost. Having that peace of mind is great.

There's several options. You can fly into St. Thomas and ferry over. The fast ferries from St. Thomas run often, it's a 60-90min trip. Note that the ferries go to either Road Town or the West End on Tortola. So you might want to try to take one that docks closer to where you're staying. Tortola is a pretty long island. The ferries are mostly how everyone gets around between the USVI's/BVI's. And are punctual.

Smiths Ferry is one option from STT-Tortola. http://virginislands-guide.info/getting.around/ferries.and.boats/smiths.ferry.service/

BVI Welcome Magazine - Ferries lists all the schedules/options from Tortola. They suggest calling to confirm ferry status - do that.

Or fly to San Juan and then on to Beef Island - Tortola via a local carrier. American Eagle flies an ATR72 (68 pax twin turboprop) from SJU to Beef Island - the flights show up on Expedia. 2 stops LAX-MIA-SJU or a one-stop red-eye thru SJU. Beef Island's airport code is EIS. Cape Air is a smaller (plane) option: http://www.capeair.net/common/index.php?lng=CAPE&div=AA&nav=AA&page=A03 There's no airport on St. John.

Beef Island is just east of Tortola - connected by a bridge. It's the BVI's airport. We spent a week on Virgin Gorda a few years ago but flew into STT - it seemed easier.

Last edited:
You can also fly a nonstop into San Juan, Puerto Rico and then fly Air Sunshine to Virgin Gorda. They list scheduled flight times but they are only approximate; on a return flight give yourself lots of extra time for your airline connection in San Juan.

The fastest/easiest way I have found is LAX-SJU-EIS on the AA 238 redeye to SJU then connect to AA4800. Total travel time is 8 hours. BUT that flies only on Friday and Saturday nights. Any other AA flights involves an additional connection in DFW, ORD, MIA, etc. and corresponding longer travel times.

The LAX-MIA-STT flight is usually cheaper (sometimes MUCH cheaper)and can be all large jet aircraft, with no SJU stop. You will incur additional costs and travel time for the taxi and the ferry.

The ferries from St Thomas are a fun, easy, and an excellent tour and overview of US & BVI. Sit up on the top deck and have a cold one while you power up the channel to Tortola.

Last year, we flew into San Juan and took a puddle jumper to Virgin Gorda. The small plane was a pretty short flight. Also, it did leave both times on time. But I have only done it once so I do not know how reliable it is.

The fastest/easiest way I have found is LAX-SJU-EIS on the AA 238 redeye to SJU then connect to AA4800. Total travel time is 8 hours. BUT that flies only on Friday and Saturday nights. Any other AA flights involves an additional connection in DFW, ORD, MIA, etc. and corresponding longer travel times.

The LAX-MIA-STT flight is usually cheaper (sometimes MUCH cheaper)and can be all large jet aircraft, with no SJU stop. You will incur additional costs and travel time for the taxi and the ferry.

The ferries from St Thomas are a fun, easy, and an excellent tour and overview of US & BVI. Sit up on the top deck and have a cold one while you power up the channel to Tortola.

That pretty much sums it all up.

Peresonally I don't like to fly into St Thomas and catch the ferry, only because I am paranoid that if my bag gets lost, I have to take the ferry back to St Thomas to get it from the airport (airlines won't deliver your bag to another country...). Plus I get p1ssed off getting gouged by St Thomas taxi drivers (they charge about $10 a heard for about a four minute drive). But it is a lot cheaper, and a very pretty way to arrive in BVI.

Bear in mind as well that if you are planning to stay on Virgin Gorda (rather than Tortola), it is a lot more viable to fly into San Juan and catch one of the services that connects directly into Virgin Gorda airport. Otherwise you'll need to catch another ferry.

I have a friend that takes a cruise to Tortola and gets off rather than fly. He then re-boards in Tortola when his vacation is done and goes back to the original port. He has to pay for two cruises but he has lot of vacation time.

While I realize this is probably not an option for you (Maldives and all), I always though that it would be fun to replicate that since I can leave out of Baltimore.

Don't got through Puerto Rico with anything other than carry-on - they are notorious for lost and stolen scuba gear. Also when flying into St. Thomas stay at the front of the cargo belt: a few times in the last 20 years my bags have been picked off the belt by eager cruise-line personnel and deposited onto the rack heading to the cruise boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom