Best Underwater Compact Camera - Picture Quality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if I could get some advice:

I am looking to buy my girlfriend a compact underwater camera for Xmas (we're going to the Maldives in April) and I'm struggling with getting the information I feel I need.

Which compact underwater camera has the best picture quality in terms of photos? I understand most take videos as well but the quality is not as strong as taking stills - this isn't an issue as she has a separate camera for that.

For reference I have been looking at Olympus TG 4 and the Sealife Micro 2.0 recently but no source or review I can find strictly states that a particular compact camera takes the best photos out there.

We are snorkelers only by the by so other equipment such as strobes are unnecessary.

Many thanks for your help!

Just about every compact camera is capable of taking excellent pictures. Few divers are...

Is your gf an experienced photographer?
Does she want a simple camera for happy snaps?

For snorkeling the TG4 is a great camera since it will not need an additional housing. There are other more expensive compacts available that likely can take better pictures. Not sure you will notice...

For snorkeling only, it's hard to beat the tg-4 since it's already waterproof to 50ft, is very easy to carry around since it is small and won't need a housing, and it can do macro very nicely out of the box.

The best? Look for a Sony RX-100 or a Panasonic LX-100.

I recently saw pics taken with an Olympus tough, in a housing with a basic torch and I was GOBSMACKED with the quality from a point and shoot. Really lovely stuff.

Top compacts and housing IMHO:

Olympus TG-4 (but smaller sensor) and preferable in a housing versus trusting camera alone.

Sony RX100 II, III or IV (albeit heat issues with IV if cranking lots of continuous 4K video) in Fantasea or Ikelite housing

Canon G16 (1/1.7" sensor, great proven if not buying into a 1" sensor model) plus Canon G7X and especially Canon G7X Mark II in Fantasea or Ikelite housing.

Full disclosure I'm a Fantasea and Ikelite dealer and have actually USED all of the above. Currently using my Canon G7X Mark II in a Fantasea housing and I'm very happy traveling and diving with it.

Haas Photography Inc.
www.haasimages.com

The OP asked for recommendations on the best compact for picture quality.

I have to admit I'm pretty surprised at the posts saying that a TG-4 or Intova camera would even have PQ as good as a Sony RX-100 (any gen) or Panasonic LX100. I really expected virtually anyone/everyone to agree that the Sony or Panasonic have a fair bit better PQ than a TG-4 or Intova. Maybe even better than a G16 or G7X.

As for housings, I haven't dived my Meikon housing a lot yet (something like 8 - 10 dives so far, I think), but I don't think you can beat a Meikon housing for $250. Especially for a compact camera which doesn't have interchangeable lenses anyway.

My opinion (as a fairly new person to u/w photography): A Sony RX-100 Mk II for $500 (or less now?) in a Meikon housing for $250 would be just about impossible to beat for u/w photo picture quality - at least, compared to any other rig that is under $1000. Maybe even $1500. And, by the way, I'm not saying this because I bought an RX100 and I'm one of those "whatever I have is best" people. I do not have a Sony. But, I have seen the photos from 1 a buddy shoots, and I have done a lot of reading on the subject. So, take my opinion FWIW (which is every penny you paid for it :)).

OP, like all choices, you'll have to decide based upon goals, budget, priorities and usage what the best camera is for you and your girlfriend.

Here are two links where you can compare different cameras, see the specs and see pros and cons. There are many other resources that do similarly.

Camera Decision - Compare Digital Cameras

Compare Cameras - Imaging Resource

As giffenk mentioned and I agree, more than likely the limitation on the quality of your pictures (at least initially) is going to be the skill of the user vs the capabilities of the camera.

You mention it will be strictly for snorkeling which I think changes the selection as opposed to if you would potential use the camera for diving as well. I've snorkeled with my tg-4 unhoused and in the housing and with my WAL attached and there's definitely a difference in convenience of something you can stick in your swim trunks pocket vs the size/weight when housed.

My wife probably has 50 dive/snorkels with her unhoused tg-3 over the last two years and it's been reliable thus far, even when it got taken to 60ft accidentally!

But if best potential for picture quality is absolutely number one, your going to want to look at the compacts with the larger sensors probably.

Last edited:
If you are still considering the TG4 and the Sealife, I would opt for the TG4 because it can produce RAW files. Last I read is that the Sealife only takes jpegs.

If your girlfriend has interest in doing any corrections to the images, the RAW file will give much more flexibility.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom