Best way to dive Browning Pass ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been to God's Pocket twice and will be returning for my 3rd trip in April. I love it that much! The elevator on the boat is a lifesaver, particularly when in drysuit gear.... Whichever way you go, you are going to love the diving!

I've just booked a trip back to the Hideaway, leaving Oct. 4, with some friends. When I was there two years ago, the Swell was hanging around outside the cove pretty much all week. It's a great looking old boat, but seemed like there was a ton of people on their skiff for diving... As in standing room only.

Incidentally, the Swell is being retired at the end of 2014, so book quick if you want to dive her.

I should mention that I've been diving with John for probably 25 years... many trips on his liveaboard. John is a genuine character who knows all there is to know about the water out there. God's Pocket looks very nice, but it doesn't have John, so that makes it a no-brainer for me! :wink:

Just got back from the Hideaway this morning. I'm having a beer in the Quarterdeck in Port Hardy as I write this actually. My stay at the Hideaway has been for the last six days and I must say it was absolutely great. I've dove the area before, the sites are all spectacular and all operators go to the same sites. The only difference is the accommodations and the boat. Gods Pocket accommodations are nicer, can't argue about that. Gods Pocket boat has an elevator, don't know about you but when I need an elevator to get back in the boat I'll be hanging up my fins but to each their own. Food at both places is very good, can't say one is any better than the other, big, hot home cookin just what the doctor orders after a couple of cold water dives. But what sets the Hideaway head and shoulders above any dive op on the west coast is the owner/capt John. His experience with the tides and sites is second to none. His enthusiasm is contagious, and his stories are entertaining to say the least. We dove four dives a day and he was more keen to get out on the water than we were. It's certainly refreshing to see such a high level of customer service.
The Hideaway will have my return business for my future travels in the Browning Pass area. It's not the Hilton but the bed I s warm, the food I s hot, the diving is plentiful and you will leave with a new friend. Enjoy!

Just recently returned from a 6-day trip to Browning Pass, staying at the Hideaway with Stoo and a handful of other Ontario divers. I must say the conditions were above my expectations (Oct 6-10) in terms of visibility, and the whole trip was a hoot. The Hideaway is pretty charming in its own right, and John de Boeck and the crew were simply awesome.

If you want to see what the diving and topside conditions were like, check out this mini-documentary I put together of our trip:

[video=youtube;sa6cdNEW34k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa6cdNEW34k[/video]

Just recently returned from a 6-day trip to Browning Pass, staying at the Hideaway with Stoo and a handful of other Ontario divers. I must say the conditions were above my expectations (Oct 6-10) in terms of visibility, and the whole trip was a hoot. The Hideaway is pretty charming in its own right, and John de Boeck and the crew were simply awesome.

If you want to see what the diving and topside conditions were like, check out this mini-documentary I put together of our trip:

[video=youtube;sa6cdNEW34k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa6cdNEW34k[/video]

Awesome! How do you recommend getting there? Flight to Vancouver and then rent-a-car?

Down to two - Nautilus Swell is gone (sold to a non-dive related operator effective late fall 2014). Either way - the area provides for some spectacular diving!!

---------- Post added October 24th, 2014 at 05:54 PM ----------

Great (albeit long!) video. Would you mind if I shared it on cooldives.com?

Didn't watch the whole video by torontodiver but that was some fantastic vis. John's place has grown a lot since I was there last.

As for the question "Wall or 7 tree?" for me the answer is usually "7 Tree".

YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa6cdNEW34k

That's a terrible video to post! (jk) when some of us are landlocked and wanting to go dive....

Awesome diving, shooting and narration. Makes me want to call 'em up and go anyways.

I love the ease of Caribbean diving, but the PNW is where it's at!

BRad

I love the ease of Caribbean diving, but the PNW is where it's at!

BRad

I have not been to PNW but from the video, pictures and what I have read, I would consider British Columbia in top five of my bucket list. Caribbean does not make it in the top 20.

Back
Top Bottom