Best way to go for lobster?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sneakysnook

Reaction score
Wanting to go for lobster for the first time. What would be the best way? Should I go on a charter or should I just go with someone.

Just coming back from a week of bug hunting, I would make these suggestions. First and formost find a really good experienced buddy. I can't tell from your profile how much experience you have but you can get carried away with the hunt and lose total track of time and depth. A good buddy helps keep you focused on the slightly more imprortant things like remaining air. In addition we tend to spilt up somewhat -20 to 40 ft depending on vis so being very comfortable UW is improtant.
I find the simple tickle stick and net approch works well. You need to sloooooow down and GENTLY work the bug. I prefer a slow pace looking under every rock and coral head. Remember that you must measure them underwater and all females with eggs have to be released. I try to release any very close to their original hole so they can hide easily. I have to use a charter as I don't have a boat in Fla. When talking with the charter make sure they understand you want to hunt lobster and it's the primary reason for your trip, otherwise you may end up diving in a protected area because someone else was ahead of you on the charter and wanted to see something in the park (made that mistake before). Be safe and carefull, no bug is worth getting hurt over, something hard to remember in the heat of the chase.

sneakysnook:
Wanting to go for lobster for the first time. What would be the best way? Should I go on a charter or should I just go with someone.

Yes and Yes

An east coast charter from Pompano to West Palm would give you the best chance. Also do try to go with someone who has caught alot of bugs and learn from them, how they do it. I also would go to your LDS and get the video "Tail Tamer" or you can buy it on line and watch it before you go or buy any gear. Don't forget your license! Have fun and post up a trip report.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom