best way to layer a 3mm and a vest or shorties?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s

Contributor
Reaction score
what's the best way to layer a 3mm and a vest or shortie?

vest on the inside or outside of 3mm?

shorties on the inside or woutside of 3mm?

which way would provide the best thermal protection?

(and why?)

thanks....

I would put the vest under a 3mm suit. On the outside the vest will not be stable and water will flow through it. With the vest worn under the suit will give you a full membrane of coverage. The vest will block you from direct attack by zipper seepage. The vest will make the water take a torturous path and it will be somewhat warmed when it reaches your skin. A hooded vest is best since it virtually eliminates neck seepage.

Since the shorty has some leg and arm it will better be able to resist flushing and could go outside as a 3rd layer. It could also be worn under in place of the vest. Part of this will depend on how the items best layer due to their relative sizes.

Pete

i dive a 3mm farmer john, which means my "shortie" goes on the outside

when i use my 3mm vest, i wear that first and the rest of the stuff over it

not sure why .... maybe it's a fashion thing ... but it makes sense to have the outer layer cover the parts of the other vestments which let water in

crap double post

According to your specific layering situation, I would think this answer would differ. Before I picked up my Pinnacle 5 mil, I had a well-made, but fairly cheap(Evo) 3mm suit. When I needed additional insulation, I used a 2 mil hooded vest. I tried it on the inside and outside. I found that, for me, I was warmer with the vest on the inside. In my siuation, it was because, although my wetsuit fit well, it did not have a very good neck seal. Wearing it over the suit, I felt the vest didn't fit as well. But the vest fits me very well, and the hood seals well around the face. When I wear it under the wetsuit, it seals the neck. I stay very warm in it. On the flipside, one of my buddies has a zippered vest with no hood, and he wears it over the wetsuit. His vest zips in the front, so water has to come around 2 zippers to get in.
I think, like most things in life, it is a matter of preference and comfort.

One or two additional ideas of potential interest in this thread, from about a month or two ago.

I'd been wearing the vest (zipper front, no hood) on the inside because I thought it would be warmer, especially to the chest under the arms when you move your arms and the 3mm will lift up some. but someone told me that it was warmer on the outside.

as for the shortie, I'm not sure which, but would prob lean to whatever is easiest to "get on" over the other.

(this results from me forgetting to bring my 5mm for water that is a little cooler than expected :D ).

i think ease of putting on and taking off should be key

it so happens that my shorty first, long suit next, and shortie last zips me up tight

As my 3 mil got a little older I bought a 2.5mil core warmer. My 3mil was too tight for the 2.5 to go under. I am not sure if it would be warmer underneath or not. Also drag does not seem to be an issue. But I really like my new addition. I was going to buy a new full body but I dont need to now.

For quite a while I used a 2mm and wore a shorty over it. It worked well except it took extra long for the water to saturate, and I always had trouble descending on the first dive of the day until everything got good and wet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom