Best way to mount comp/compass ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1/8in bungee or 3mm size is ideal.

Usual choices I see for Diving shock cord is 3/16in | 4.7mm
Or 1/8in | 3.2mm

So 0.1875in or 0.125in as the usual choices.

Don't you love the Imperial System? :D

Link ? (If so, not working)
[emoji113]
Oh, that's right. It's in the Pub, and you've got to sign up to read there.

Try here.

---------- Post added November 10th, 2014 at 09:19 AM ----------

...and now to try to get back on topic:
4mm is too thick.
Is it? I've got my SK7 in a DSS bungee mount, and AFAIK, I've used 4mm bungee on that. IMO, the 4mm is just the right thickness for my mount, no knots needed to keep the cord in place, if I pull the cord to tighten it, it stays tightened, and I can have a different length on the two loops without the cord sliding in the mount. Besides, the type of bungee I've seen around here is either 4mm or 6mm, no thinner types are easily available.

I'm wearing both my backup computer and my compass on my right, the computer slightly below the middle of my forearm (usually it slides down to lie against the compass), the compass down on the wrist to get it as far away from my eyes as possible since I'm a tad presbyopic. My DS is a Waterproof D7 with the ISS ring mounted silicone seals, and I don't have a problem with the bungee mount. I'll grant you that the ISS mounting rings are a little narrower than most dry glove ring systems, but not very much. I usually pull the upper of the two bungee loops over my wrist seal ring, and leave the lower around my wrist, outside the neoprene cuff. I needed to experiment a little to find the correct length of the bungee loops, but after that? No hassle.

Consider using surgical tubing ... it's stretchier than bungee cord, which might make getting it over your rings easier. The downside to surgical tubing it that it will eventually degrade, and therefore will need replacement more often than bungee ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Too thick and your mount doesn't look like it will easily support this threading scheme.

Here is a picture of my computer in a Deep Sea Supply mount:

View attachment 196919
Yeah sorry i didn't read good enough on your first post, this could be an preaty good solution! Ordered some 2mm bungee today, and DSS mount is in house now, so I'll give this threading scheme a go if i find the 2mm to have less stretch than i want it to have :)
Thanks

---------- Post added November 19th, 2014 at 12:56 AM ----------

Consider using surgical tubing ... it's stretchier than bungee cord, which might make getting it over your rings easier. The downside to surgical tubing it that it will eventually degrade, and therefore will need replacement more often than bungee ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Thanks but dont wanna go "that far". Must be rigid and long lasting.

---------- Post added November 19th, 2014 at 01:02 AM ----------

Oh, that's right. It's in the Pub, and you've got to sign up to read there.

Try here.

---------- Post added November 10th, 2014 at 09:19 AM ----------

...and now to try to get back on topic:

Is it? I've got my SK7 in a DSS bungee mount, and AFAIK, I've used 4mm bungee on that. IMO, the 4mm is just the right thickness for my mount, no knots needed to keep the cord in place, if I pull the cord to tighten it, it stays tightened, and I can have a different length on the two loops without the cord sliding in the mount. Besides, the type of bungee I've seen around here is either 4mm or 6mm, no thinner types are easily available.

I'm wearing both my backup computer and my compass on my right, the computer slightly below the middle of my forearm (usually it slides down to lie against the compass), the compass down on the wrist to get it as far away from my eyes as possible since I'm a tad presbyopic. My DS is a Waterproof D7 with the ISS ring mounted silicone seals, and I don't have a problem with the bungee mount. I'll grant you that the ISS mounting rings are a little narrower than most dry glove ring systems, but not very much. I usually pull the upper of the two bungee loops over my wrist seal ring, and leave the lower around my wrist, outside the neoprene cuff. I needed to experiment a little to find the correct length of the bungee loops, but after that? No hassle.
I know, i always (have) ordered "local stock sizes" bungee (fue), 4 and 6mm. And don't get me wrong, 4mm works, and fits the mount great (dss mounts have 5mm holes), but i just dont think it's as easy as i could be, while still having a solid mounting system..
Anyways, 2-3mmmoungee and/or the extra loop I'm shure will do the job[emoji108]

---------- Post added November 19th, 2014 at 01:03 AM ----------

John, from you puc it shure loooooks (on tapatalk/cell phone tho....) like you have around 4mm bungee yourself :p

---------- Post added November 19th, 2014 at 01:05 AM ----------

Damn auto correct! ! Ohh well.. good night! Haha

John, from you puc it shure loooooks (on tapatalk/cell phone tho....) like you have around 4mm bungee yourself :p

Damn auto correct! ! Ohh well.. good night! Haha

Apologies, measured the bungee with my digital calipers (who speak metric) and it is indeed 4mm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom