Best Way?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KROBI

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What is the best and cheapest way to book a trip to Bonaire, do it yourself or through a agent?
KR

What is the best and cheapest way to book a trip to Bonaire, do it yourself or through a agent?
KR

Doesn't matter where your going, I would always start with your own research. Go to all the usual airfare sites and go directly to the hotel website.

The big places are a good start (orbitz, expedia, etc..) to get a ballpark cost, but I would then go the airlines sites directly and even use their vacation sites. You can also use google to look for discount codes/coupons.

Of course if you don't want to do all that work, then by all means, use an agent. :D Aside from group rates or special deals that the agents know about, you can probably do just as good, if not better on your own.

KR

Best and cheapest are not always the same thing. In fact, they are usually at odds with each other. Booking through a travel agent does not typically cost any more than booking on your own. I book my dive travel through my LDS, which offers a full-service dive travel agency. They have been most places so have first hand knowledge, plus they have access to unpublished deals, etc. Also, they do so much dive travel that they tend to be able to get a little better deal, an upgraded room, free nitrox, etc.

Best and cheapest are not always the same thing. In fact, they are usually at odds with each other. Booking through a travel agent does not typically cost any more than booking on your own. I book my dive travel through my LDS, which offers a full-service dive travel agency. They have been most places so have first hand knowledge, plus they have access to unpublished deals, etc. Also, they do so much dive travel that they tend to be able to get a little better deal, an upgraded room, free nitrox, etc.

Possibly, but not always they might have deals on your diving / resort. I've rarely found them to do good on airfare though. Still doesn't hurt to use all every resource possible.

Since I am lazy when it comes to booking vacations to Bonaire, the thing I like about using a travel agent is that I only have to send one email and the hotel, truck and diving are booked. I don't have to make any phone calls to confirm reservations or wonder whether my email has been received by the resort, dive shop or rental company.

I still book my air travel myself though, but only because it is very easy with on-line ticket purchasing.

Whether it is cheaper to book on your own is something I don't plan on finding out.

Price is not the only value that you can get from a professional in travel. When you talk to an agent that specializes in diving and have travelled to the destination that you are thinking on visiting he or she can help you decide where to stay, what to do, what you should avoid, what are the must do in the area, all this really help you in getting the most of your time and money while in a new place. So you won't only get the best out of your vacation but at the end you will also save money and time, and in the worst case scenario you will be paying the same for your vacation that you will pay on any of the big website but with no professional advice at all, not many dive instructors/agents and with thousands of dives aboard work for one of those, right?

we always book airfare ourselves...but used debbie at maduro dive for our trip to bonaire.

I have had great experience with Debbie a Maduro Dive. Although most of the time I book myself directly with the resort (usually Buddy's) and the airfare. Rarely does any agent get a super deal on airfare. Most folks I talk with in the industry say the airfare is a financial "wash" and profits come from the resort bookings.

For a first trip to Bonaire an agent would be very helpful and Debbie at Maduro Dive has always been great the 2-3 times I have used her.

I always check the websites that specialize in dive travel:
Caradonna Dive Adventures - Dive Travel and Vacations
Bay Adventures :: Dive Adventures and Island Vacations :: 888.599.3483
Island Dreams Travel scuba diving vacations, cozumel scuba diving, dive travel, dive resorts, diving trips

they usually have the same deals but they give you an idea of price you should be looking for. They can book airfare for you or you can book yourself. They don't charge you a fee, the resorts that they book with pay them a booking fee. Prices tend to be about the same as if you do it yourself. HOWEVER, always check out the resorts websites, too. You might find a deal there that the others don't have.
We used to always book trips (to Cozumel) ourselves, booking airfare, hotel, and diving separately as we could get it cheap that way and in a hotel that wasn't part of a package... so it just depends where you are going and what type of place you want.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom