Better value with a more expensive mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it's comfortable and doesn't leak, any mask is sufficient. There is no additional value to a more expensive mask unless it happens to fit you better.

You mentioned getting prescription lenses ... they can be fitted to virtually any mask, although many places that do custom lenses do specify a two-lens mask style.

My recommendation is if you have found a mask that works for you, purchase two of them. Have the lenses put in one, and put the other one away. Eventually the skirt wears out. When it does, simply transfer your prescription lenses to the second mask. It's cheaper than getting the lenses replaced each time.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If you only had to clear your mask once on a dive I'd say that it fit pretty well. I buy my prescription masks about every two years when I need to get new bifocals. I usually pay around sixty bucks for them online. Of course, you could pay much more than that, into the hundreds, if you wanted to have the latest, most expensive thing.

100$ is a lot for a mask, it depends what you prefer, but I am in love with my Hollis M1 mask. It has ultra-clear glass which is truely noticeable, and it was my first black-frame mask - also made a big difference vs the clear frame masks that were much larger profile. I barely have to blow any air to get it to clear even if its full of water - its super low profile and has a great fit. Again..some people swear by their 30$ mask and I have no doubt that they work - but I havent seen another mask with the same clear glass that the M1 has. Check it out here Clear View Dive Masks with Impurity Free Glass - Dive Gear Express

It's not the price of the mask, it's the price of the no-fog goo that you buy.

The more you spend, the better it works.

Back
Top Bottom