Beyond 130 feet: always a deco dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hope this doesn't change the theme of the thread. My deepest dive was in 2008 at Devils Throat in Cozumel, 142' on air. My Cobra gave me a ceiling at 20' for 8 minutes. Then the usual 15' for three minutes. 11 minutes of total hang time with a total dive time of 55 minutes. That was the first dive of the day in the middle of my trip. The second dive of the day after a good surface interval of three hours the second dive went to 75'. My Cobra again gave me a ceiling at 20' for two minutes and the usual 15' for three minutes. Total dive time was 69 minutes. Bruce

The Cobra gave you a ceiling... did it also give you a reliable means to cope with any factor that might otherwise force you to break that ceiling? :wink:

The Cobra gave you a ceiling... did it also give you a reliable means to cope with any factor that might otherwise force you to break that ceiling? :wink:

Andy, you have a patent idea here; a spare air strapped to a cobra computer :D:D

Out of curiosity, do most computers handle going beyond the NDL and dealing with deco, or are those a sort of emergency mode that the computer really shouldn't be in? Are there specific tech computers that are designed for deco?

I hope this doesn't change the theme of the thread. My deepest dive was in 2008 at Devils Throat in Cozumel, 142' on air. My Cobra gave me a ceiling at 20' for 8 minutes. Then the usual 15' for three minutes. 11 minutes of total hang time with a total dive time of 55 minutes.

From a deco perspective that makes very little sense.
Shallower stops are always going to be longer than deeper ones. Doing deco on air at 20 feet will take longer than it would at 10 feet.
My guess is the safety stop depth is set at 15 feet so the computer decides deco stops need to be deeper ??

Safety stops are optional,not mandatory. What is the status of a safety stop after a deco stop? i.e. is it really a safety stop or a deco stop??

From a deco perspective that makes very little sense.
Shallower stops are always going to be longer than deeper ones. Doing deco on air at 20 feet will take longer than it would at 10 feet.
My guess is the safety stop depth is set at 15 feet so the computer decides deco stops need to be deeper ??

Safety stops are optional,not mandatory. What is the status of a safety stop after a deco stop? i.e. is it really a safety stop or a deco stop??

I assume (and may be making an ass out of at least me) that, while the safety stop is most certainly arbitrary and blindly added to each dive, the ceiling may be calculated.

I guess the ceiling too may be an arbitrary depth, but I'm pretty certain they are completely independent of one another.

Wrong tool for the job.

Out of curiosity, do most computers handle going beyond the NDL and dealing with deco, or are those a sort of emergency mode that the computer really shouldn't be in? Are there specific tech computers that are designed for deco?

All the computers that I have seen will go into deco mode and provide a deco profile to terminate the dive.

Thing is that I would not really rely on this for a number of reasons;
- Most people don't know what algorithm their computer is using or how aggressive or conservative it is. Therefore they don't know much about the profile they are on other than to follow the computer.
- The computer will tell you to head to a depth for say 5 minutes. In reality you are not going to hold exactly that depth. (I usually aim for about a foot below). Therefore the 5 minutes will tick down more slowly and probably takes 6 or 7 minutes to clear.
- The real challenge comes in when you need to break the deco because of an external factor (not enough gas, surface swell, poor weighting, or anything else). Then what?
- Some divers don't recognise the deco screen from their computer and don't register what it is telling them.
- I have seen two identical computers with identical settings be strapped to the same arm. The two computers came up with deco profiles that were different by 15 minutes. How much do you really trust your computer's deco planning?
- A computer may give you a stop at say 30ft. If you accidentaly go shallower for more than 60 seconds, the computer locks you out. Some might even abandon you. Now you are on your own as your computer is telling you its algorithm is no longer valid.

Yes there are a number of computers that tech divers use (you dive two computers on one arm if you are doing this). Most plan dives using software to cut specific tables instead of relying on the computer.

Except, assuming you are following PADI/DSAT procedures, that within 3 pressure groups of an NDL the safety stops become `mandatory`. (Throwing gas on the fire just to make it more hazy!)

To answer the original question:

Every dive is a deco dive, your ceiling is different.

(I usually aim for about a foot below).

Sorry for the hijack, but I've never seen anyone do that. Why?

I suspect there's so much rounding involved in the forcing of even 10 foot or 3 meter intervals and whole minute schedules that a foot and a few seconds here or there is largely meaningless.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom