Bifocal mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm thinking it has to do with "optical principle planes" and the various indices of refraction of air vs water.

Well, yeah, I figure it has to do with the index of refraction and like that. Not only for reading correction, but also astigmatism -- I wouldn't be able to function without cylinder correction in air, but underwater it's no problem at all.

But what I meant was, why don't I need reading correction underwater with my prescription, when so many other folks seem to need it (like Diver0001, the OP)?

I'm in the same situation and would like to try the stick-on lenses. But boy, $30 to try out lenses that some say either start to fog after a few dives or simply wash out of the mask ... I don't know ... ??

Henrik

They're also packaged for sunglasses at a much lower price point. I
got a pair for $10 at Wallgreens after contacting Optx 20/20 Reading Lenses to
verify that they are indeed identical to those meant for SCUBA but only
in a different package.

When you use them, wash and degrease in dish detergent. Place and let
dry for several days. You won't loose them even if your mask repeatedly
floods in a live-aboard environment. That's my experience.

--Mike

Well, yeah, I figure it has to do with the index of refraction and like that. Not only for reading correction, but also astigmatism -- I wouldn't be able to function without cylinder correction in air, but underwater it's no problem at all.

But what I meant was, why don't I need reading correction underwater with my prescription, when so many other folks seem to need it (like Diver0001, the OP)?

Probably because you're so much more nearsighted than most other people, the effect is that much greater.

Probably because you're so much more nearsighted than most other people, the effect is that much greater.

Yeah, it had occurred to me too that it might have to do with my nearsightedness. Makes sense that it would affect my reading correction requirement in unforeseen ways underwater, positively in this case... Again, I'm not complaining, for once!! :D

Yeah, it had occurred to me too that it might have to do with my nearsightedness. Makes sense that it would affect my reading correction requirement in unforeseen ways underwater, positively in this case... Again, I'm not complaining, for once!! :D

My Rx is +.50 DS OU with a +2.25 add--don't use a thing for reading my gauges UW....

and---I'm an eye doc....my theory, if I can 'get by' UW with no Rx, go for it....

I tried the Optx stick-on lenses. There are two sizes, the ones for diving are larger than the ones for use on land. They work ok, and if you apply them carefully they stay put for at least a few dives. But I was nervous about them, and I didn't like the mask that I was using them in either, so I bought the Sea Vision Ultra Maxvision (yellow lenses) gauge readers. This is the only low-volume mask that I have found that fits my high-volume nose! And it does not fog up at all! And the gauge readers are all I need to read my gauges. Of course, they are only +2 diopter reading lenses, so if you need a different prescription you will have to order prescription lenses. But I am really happy with this mask.

Hmmm... DS OU means spherical correction, same in both eyes? So you're mildly farsighted, with about the same reading correction as me. And you see your gauges fine underwater too. Interesting.

DS= Diopters Sphere (no astigmatism)

OU= both eyes

OD= right (and is also the abbreviation for the degree of doctor of optometry)

OS= left

The stick on lenses did not work for me. Eventually they fall off and I lose them.

So I have two masks: one the XS Scuba Gauge Reader has +1.75 diopter angled bifocals. It's fine but I prefer another mask I ordered through Scuba.com

Buy XS scuba z duo m-line mask MZ2 with reviews at scuba.com

you can order it with any strength bifocals you want. For some reason this mask works better for my face.

The next question is what strength of bifocals to chose. My answer, open to correction, is to choose the same as what you use for reading in air. There is some difference because the lens is farther from the eye than regular eyeglasses, and you're looking into water. But you're also reading your gauges much closer than normal reading material.

Adam

OK, I'm really confused about something.

Yet I've always seen perfectly underwater, to include gauges, with just spherical -9.5 corrective mask lenses.

I'm not complaining, but why don't I need reading correction underwater???

Try this: With your mask on, sitting in your living room, look at your dive computer on your wrist. Keep both eyes open and cover your right eye and look at the readings, repeat this for the left eye. Notice any change in quality of vision between the right and left eye? You may be using one eye for near and the other for distance.

Back
Top Bottom