Biggest fright diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is not my scariest, but it just happened today: Abaco, Bahamas, and a reef shark, nothing to scary, but it lined up straight on me, arched its back, and started thrashing its tail.

Me: BIG burst of bubbles (involuntary), yell (voluntary, really), wave of arms... no problem.

Err, adrenaline was present. :wink:

During final checkout dive for OW had my buddy yank my reg out of my mouth at 50' by mistake. I couldn't see that anyone was there. I thought a seal was screwing with me. When my buddy realized what he had done he took his octo and tried to force it into my mouth. I wasn't scared really, but it was a tense few seconds.

My first time going night diving (freediving/spearing) my buddy drops his spear over the edge (on a line) then climbs in. Between us we had 1 light and it was not on yet. All of a sudden I hear him yelling (can't see a thing - bad vis, no moon etc..) turns out when he pulled up his spear an octopus had latched onto it and decided to jump off onto his leg - but he couldn't tell what it was ... after discovering vis was only about 10ft we called it a night and went home ... I didn't have a lot of confidence anyway as he was "showing me the ropes" that night lol...

Aloha, Tim

Night dive, 100 feet, 3 ft visability, suddenly my buddy's light disappeared...

I could hear him breathing but couldn't see him. Zero visibility sucks...

I learned post-dive that he could also hear me breathing...

Nomad:
Night dive, 100 feet, 3 ft visability, suddenly my buddy's light disappeared...

I could hear him breathing but couldn't see him. Zero visibility sucks...

I learned post-dive that he could also hear me breathing...

It's a good thing you guys don't dive RB's ... :D

D.

Earthquake while underwater, a few weeks after the Tsunami in Asia. Looking back, tons of fun. But while holding on to the boulders and getting bounced around, not so much...

Scuba_Vixen:
It's a good thing you guys don't dive RB's ... :D

D.
Yeah but they could talk to each other right? I saw the cave last night and they were having great conversations through their megs

A baracuda kept charging at me, unprovoked. Only time I ever blew a safety stop.

This may not be too entertaining but during these first couple of months of diving worst scare happened on our first ‘independent’ dive. It was a good learning experience, so maybe some newbies want to hear it. It was way worse for my buddy in the water but I win hands down when we climbed up after the dive.

We were trying to be good buddies and stay close. Buddy was on my right-hand side and took a peek at her right while I happened to be taking in the scenery on my left-hand side. Naturally, glances were accompanied with good body twists when poorly-fitting rental jackets shifted around resulting in our tanks rolling and nearly kissing between us.

I was about a foot behind my buddy but when we both straightened back to horizontal, I noticed I was mysteriously stuck to her side. And there I stayed for what felt like ages, and I am starting to get annoyed that my buddy is not pulling away. I am trying to get my right hand up enough from nearly carving the bottom to aid by nudging her off. My head is nearly buried into her armpit, I can’t see a thing but all of a sudden I feel that her movements are not as calm as usual.

It was a stupid entanglement, probably gauge somewhere looped in other one’s hoses or poor-fitting equipment. The nastiness came from the fact that every time I yanked, I was pulling the regulator off my buddy’s mouth (indeed I was quite oblivious we were even entangled for awhile – I was like ‘what’s she playing at’ because I assumed she was able to see the situation better that I was). My buddy sure knew what was going on but could not really get a push executed. Noway could she get her hands to the offending hoses while I was moving, and even though she could get to her sea snips what was there to cut? I was just considering should I go limp when we did break loose (I am really happy I did not limp up because we discussed it later – lifeless buddy in a situation like that would spell sheer terror).

So what I/we learnt and did as a result… Never assume too much and if something suddenly changes you need to get that OK from your buddy, and not rush into anything. And what was said about staying close to your buddy might need some optimizing! (We still struggle with this issue because of this incident). We revised our signs for cases we cannot quickly establish eye-contact are-you-OKs with each other. (What do you guys use when motion-limited, and you need to negotiate how to start and/or if there is urgency yet?) Also, my buddy was pissed at herself for thinking of slipping out of her gear before considering that sticking an octo into her mouth would have given her more room to think. (We had plenty of air which we both remembered, and we were in about 15f of water, so we gave ourselves some points for not surfacing but going through several – if not all so great – options dealing with the crap underwater).

Since that I have been staring at my buddy's hoses with new found respect - not just because they are not rental anymore

My instructor accidently snatched the reg out of my mouth my first dive after ow. He was tumbled in a surge zone near an island, he was just grabbing at something. Still, it was a startling moment!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom