biggest issues diving as a female

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Curious to know what women go through that men don't even recognize, obv within the context of diving :)

Since the op mentioned men in her post I'll comment. The fact that women can last longer on a dive, all other things being equal, or surface with more gas is something that I've noticed. I don't think this is due to women having better lungs but smaller ones. Therefore, they have lower gas consumption. The other thing I've noticed is that women, in general, move slightly slower than men which contributes to lower gas consumption.

Peeing. None of this standing at the back of the boat and just aiming the hose with one hand and hanging on to a strut with the other. Crouching on a rocking boat, probably stripped naked to the thighs, thrown off balance, peeing over the wetsuit/swimsuit/your own feet. Why are there so few tankinis on the market? Speedily whip down the lower half whilst top half is still covered. Why not just jump in the sea? (This would be asked by a man.) Have they ever tried wriggling out of a swimsuit in a 3 ft swell whilst hanging on to the line? OK, bikinis can help but some of us are not really svelte enough for them.

As a man I have observed women seem to get cold easier and have to wear more thermal protection.

More in the context of dive trips than the actual diving, but relevant - it seems to me women traveling alone to foreign destinations more often ask about topside safety in those places they consider visiting.

Peeing. None of this standing at the back of the boat and just aiming the hose with one hand and hanging on to a strut with the other. Crouching on a rocking boat, probably stripped naked to the thighs, thrown off balance, peeing over the wetsuit/swimsuit/your own feet. Why are there so few tankinis on the market? Speedily whip down the lower half whilst top half is still covered. Why not just jump in the sea? (This would be asked by a man.) Have they ever tried wriggling out of a swimsuit in a 3 ft swell whilst hanging on to the line? OK, bikinis can help but some of us are not really svelte enough for them.

I was on a trip recently and one of the women on the boat had mastered the art of stripping down to her bathing suit, cannon-balling into the water whilst pulling down said bathing suit, and entering the water prepared to pee. She explained that the in-air extrication made it much easier rather than trying to disrobe in the water.

Absolutely brilliant.

Back
Top Bottom