biggest issues diving as a female

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boobs. You literally have to learn to do things by feel for waist belt, crotch strap, etc, as you can’t see! Add a drysuit and it’s even worse.

It’s funny but also an issue. Of course, the flat gals don’t run into this. Add the CCR loop and it’s even worse. 🤦‍♀️

Different position/distribution of fat/muscle/lungs makes buoyancy/trim/balance different for women vs men. Females are more often top heavy and need different solutions to effortles trimming out than male counterparts.
Ladders are often built for 180cm 18years old fit males. So females with shorter shin/thighbones end up needing to do a waaay lower "squat motion" to climb ladders, which of course demands more in terms of leg strength. Shorter distance between steps on ladders is good for everyone.
Smaller hands/feet/faces. Gear is usually made for the 180cm 75kg male... Or the V shaped male. Making the A shaped female with small hands and face in trouble when finding gear.
Handles on lights are often super large.
MANSPLAINING!
THe assumption that girls arent interested in anything but the colour of their gear. Or that all female gear should be pink!
"Women shouldn't be in tech-diving!"
"Women shouldn't be in cave-diving!"
Women quite often consume less gas.
Different risk-factors regarding cycle/excersise/hyperbaric related causes.

Boobs. You literally have to learn to do things by feel for waist belt, crotch strap, etc, as you can’t see! Add a drysuit and it’s even worse.
I was going to say the same thing, boobs! And I don’t mean “breasts”

Peeing. None of this standing at the back of the boat and just aiming the hose with one hand and hanging on to a strut with the other. Crouching on a rocking boat, probably stripped naked to the thighs, thrown off balance, peeing over the wetsuit/swimsuit/your own feet. Why are there so few tankinis on the market? Speedily whip down the lower half whilst top half is still covered. Why not just jump in the sea? (This would be asked by a man.) Have they ever tried wriggling out of a swimsuit in a 3 ft swell whilst hanging on to the line? OK, bikinis can help but some of us are not really svelte enough for them.

I got one for my wife for Christmas a couple years ago (it was a stocking stuffer, and based on recommendations of other women!). I did mention that she would hate me at the time, but would love me later.

She did hate me at the time. It is now one of her most often gifted items for her outdoorsy friends. Apparently, practice in the shower first is advised.

Ah busty lady problems, I've been there so many times. I surprisingly seem to think a lot of men don't think about how they work underwater, even something simple like in the pool, I'll dive down and my boobs will hit the pool wall, the ladder, or floor haha.

I got one for my wife for Christmas a couple years ago (it was a stocking stuffer, and based on recommendations of other women!). I did mention that she would hate me at the time, but would love me later.

She did hate me at the time. It is now one of her most often gifted items for her outdoorsy friends. Apparently, practice in the shower first is advised.
The image isn't loading but I already know it's some sort of shewee/pstyle and... these things are great!! No more crouching with your whole Coosa River out and enlisting the help of Pee Guardians to make sure nobody sees you in a vulnerable position.

It's such a practical gift. I love mine. I'll even use it if I'm wearing a onesie or a romper that I don't want to take fully off and risk it touching the bathroom floor.

The image isn't loading but I already know it's some sort of shewee/pstyle and... these things are great!! No more crouching with your whole Coosa River out and enlisting the help of Pee Guardians to make sure nobody sees you in a vulnerable position.

It's such a practical gift. I love mine. I'll even use it if I'm wearing a onesie or a romper that I don't want to take fully off and risk it touching the bathroom floor.

Here ya go

61Zx-Vj38dL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

This is a skill everyone should develop, and looking straight ahead, also to combat boat motion queasiness

Back
Top Bottom