Trip Report Bikini Atoll (June 2023)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@broncobowsher - I am up for next year, too.
End of July next year. I was thinking it was August but that was probably one of the prior scheduling dates that was delayed. So a year from now I expect to be there. That will be a lot sooner than I expect. I think I saw there are still 4 opening left on the boat.

The travel woes are disappointing to say the least. Out of curiosity, does anyone know if it would be a similar hassle/risk getting to Chuuk?

chuuk is slightly easier as there are a few more flights from guam

the island hopper is a low priority route because it basically loses money worse than a leaky boat. the locals have concessionary fares that are below cost and there aren't enough tourists and pretty much a complete lack of business travelers to make up the difference.

The travel woes are disappointing to say the least. Out of curiosity, does anyone know if it would be a similar hassle/risk getting to Chuuk?
Chuuk you may miss a day or two of diving. Bikini you miss the boat, and the whole trip.
Difference is a disruption to a few dives, or no dives.

I don't think so. More flights coming into Chuuk.

You are really having me think about getting there a flight before the boat leaves. Sitting around a hotel playing solitaire for a few days sure sounds better than not having all the gear. At least I have a year until that happens.
or check to see if the boat is carrying a spare OC set up -ours did, then work out what you cant leave behind in a worse case scenario and carry it with you

or check to see if the boat is carrying a spare OC set up -ours did, then work out what you cant leave behind in a worse case scenario and carry it with you

The Island Hopper is supposed to be back to 3 flights a week beginning in October. In my case, the boat departure was Saturday and if the hopper had been running the original schedule (East to West on M, W, F w/arrivals on T, Th, Sa) I would have arrived on the W/Th flight and spent two lovely days in Ebeye. That would have given me the opportunity to catch my bags on Saturday before the departure. However, with the current hopper schedule, arriving on Tuesday and waiting in Ebeye until Saturday wasn't really an option for me so I gambled.

I think one of the other things you can do to help is try to fly first class. The "priority tags" that first class bags got seemed to work for the first class passengers.

The Island Hopper is supposed to be back to 3 flights a week beginning in October. In my case, the boat departure was Saturday and if the hopper had been running the original schedule (East to West on M, W, F w/arrivals on T, Th, Sa) I would have arrived on the W/Th flight and spent two lovely days in Ebeye. That would have given me the opportunity to catch my bags on Saturday before the departure. However, with the current hopper schedule, arriving on Tuesday and waiting in Ebeye until Saturday wasn't really an option for me so I gambled.

I think one of the other things you can do to help is try to fly first class. The "priority tags" that first class bags got seemed to work for the first class passengers.
if our situation is any indication, then the 1st class theory does not work. 4 of the 5 divers whose bags were left in HNL were 1st class and their bags were labelled with priority tags.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom