Trip Report Bikini Atoll (June 2023)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if our situation is any indication, then the 1st class theory does not work. 4 of the 5 divers whose bags were left in HNL were 1st class and their bags were labelled with priority tags.
lol United Airline - the great equaliser

Gents, what are the rules for dive buddies there? Do you usually travel w someone you know? Is this an "instabuddy" trip where you assume that the itinerary and the dive profile will yield quality buddies?

Gents, what are the rules for dive buddies there? Do you usually travel w someone you know? Is this an "instabuddy" trip where you assume that the itinerary and the dive profile will yield quality buddies?
The trip I was on, the only diver who was by himself was buddied up with a DM. There were 2 or 3 DMs on every dive. Everyone else paired off within their group.

We filled the boat with people we knew and had paired up with people on similar pages. The only one we didn't know was the Op that stated this thread, but now that we know him I'm sure we'd be willing to take him anywhere he wanted to go.

We filled the boat with people we knew and had paired up with people on similar pages. The only one we didn't know was the Op that stated this thread, but now that we know him I'm sure we'd be willing to take him anywhere he wanted to go.

Thanks, Ken! I stopped seeing new responses on this thread for some reason.

Regards,

- brett

I don't think there is a hard-and-fast policy but from what I have seen, they try to get people to pair up or go with a DM -- especially if there is any overhead penetration planned for the dive.

I had some pretty unique dive plans and was trying to get photos of the wreck and people and build photogrammetry models so I was often without a direct buddy but was often in the vicinity of other divers and they always knew where I was going to be (and where I wasn't going to be).

The planning is generally done pre-dive and is dynamic depending upon the number of people diving, the plans of those divers, the wreck, etc.

Overall, I would describe the "rules" as flexible and dynamic depending upon the situation.

I would personally feel comfortable going on another trip as a solo traveler (I often do this), but if you have a buddy that wants to go, I would recommend it.

Regards,

- brett

For those who don't subscribe to the blog, I've posted the first four detailed reports with a ton of history of the wrecks, descriptions of the site, and photos (Apogon, Anderson, Carlisle, and Arkansas). They are referenced below:

I hope these are helpful. I've got a few more to go including an epic post on all the airplanes around the USS Saratoga.

- brett

I just published the USS Lamson post. It had a ton of photos and some cool historical information about destroyers along with annotated blueprints and layout of a sister ship showing the location of all the different weapons. I hope it is benfecial for anybody else going to dive the wreck. There is a ton to see. I love diving destroyers. :)

- brett

I just published the USS Lamson post. It had a ton of photos and some cool historical information about destroyers along with annotated blueprints and layout of a sister ship showing the location of all the different weapons. I hope it is benfecial for anybody else going to dive the wreck. There is a ton to see. I love diving destroyers. :)

- brett
Subscribed to your blog. Looks like great info and photographs!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom