Bikini Atoll - trip/tech report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vjongene:
They were diving steel doubles in a DIR configuration.

Thats interesting - since deep air is grounds for excommunication. Do they have helium there yet? because their website says no, but the website of one of their agents says yes.

TX101:
Thats interesting - since deep air is grounds for excommunication. Do they have helium there yet? because their website says no, but the website of one of their agents says yes.

They used to have helium but don't anymore. There are only two boats a year supplying the island, and transporting anything by air costs a bomb. I believe that they did not have enough Trimix certified divers to be worth the expense and effort. The oxygen for the Nitrox is made on the island.

While they do not preach DIR in any way or form, their equipment configuration could be used for DIR training materials.

TX101:
I was quoted $1500 to $2000 per person by one travel agency. I was told that the Bikini Atoll folks have no problem with you diving mix, just that it's a huge PITA to get He there. So the travel agent has to arrange it all; purchase, shipping, duty.

All the best, James

fdog:
I was quoted $1500 to $2000 per person by one travel agency. I was told that the Bikini Atoll folks have no problem with you diving mix, just that it's a huge PITA to get He there. So the travel agent has to arrange it all; purchase, shipping, duty.
I would not be surprised if Tim et al. had a stash of He that they use when they go exploring. It is just not available for guests, at least officially. And they do dive air when accompanying guests.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom