Bikini Atoll

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently read an article on Bikini , they are booked for this year and almost full for next year. the demand to dive there has increase dramatically in the last couple of years, since they started dive operations just a few years ago . every wreck is at least 125ft deep, so deco is a must on all dives. too far from Florida to plan a dive only trip. there is nothing else to do there but dive.

If you glow in the dark, can that serve as your back up light for night diving Bikini?

Does anyone know if trimix is available there yet, or is just deep air diving? Just incase you want a 6,000 dollar vacation instead of 3,000 :D

kewidner:
I decided to post this in the Technical Diving area rather than the travel area, as all of these dives are decompress dives. Has anyone been to Bikini Atoll. I'm in talks right now with Bikini Atoll Divers trying to setup something for 2007. I'm not sure about the best way to get there and what kind of condition can I expect to find. Do I need to get any shots before going and any suggestions on how to make this a safe trip would be appreciated. If you have been there do you know if this is the only shop there and if so, how good are they.

Thanks...

Check out a new article in Undercurrents about the diving there. It goes into great detail about costs, travel, dive chamber, the lack of tri-mix - all air dives and gas for deco. Good article.

kuster500:
Does anyone know if trimix is available there yet, or is just deep air diving? Just incase you want a 6,000 dollar vacation instead of 3,000 :D

That's $6000 just for the helium. I believe you can arrange to have it shipped in for your stay, but you need to make arangements about 6 months to a year in advance.
As per prior post, Mike Dudas would have the info as he worked out there for abt 2 yrs.

According to their website they still do deep air (they must be nuts) and deco on EAN75 (again, they must be nuts).

kewidner:
I decided to post this in the Technical Diving area rather than the travel area, as all of these dives are decompress dives. Has anyone been to Bikini Atoll. I'm in talks right now with Bikini Atoll Divers trying to setup something for 2007. I'm not sure about the best way to get there and what kind of condition can I expect to find. Do I need to get any shots before going and any suggestions on how to make this a safe trip would be appreciated. If you have been there do you know if this is the only shop there and if so, how good are they.

Thanks...
I am going to Bikini Atoll this August with Splash Dive Center in Alexandria, VA. Check out the website www. bikiniatoll.com. There is a link off of the main site describing their dive operation. It strikes me as being well run. I also know someone who went diving at Bikini Atoll and highly recommended the trip.

One thing I like about the operation is that they have hanging bars below the dive boat to help with 30, 20 & 10 foot decompressions stops. You do need, however, to have some form of certification in decompression procedures to be able to safely make the dives. The Saratoga lies in 185' of water. Not the type of diving for an inexperienced diver.

I will be posting pictures and talking about my experiences through numerous posts when I get back home in late August. This should be a trip of a lifetime. They allow relatively few divers for any week. There are about 15 divers from my shop going and we will be the only guests at that time.

wedivebc:
Care to explain that comment?
I would just prefer to to deco on 100% O2 but that's my own personal preferance. To each his own...:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom