Blood sugar crash during diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I was doing my OW class I spent 2 hours at a time in the pool and felt very comfortable. Not even a hint of getting cold. Is it possible I'm using more energy to warm myself in the Sound and therefor depleting my energy reserves faster? Would it be worth it for me to wear a 3mm shorty next time I dive? This is what I'm thinking is happening because my day during classes looked like:
Food
1/2 hr drive to 1.5 hr class
1/2 hr drive to 2 hr pool session (pool was probably aroun 72-76 degrees, not sure though)
45 min drive home

If I can go 5 hrs or so without eating with a 2 hr dive session in there I have a hard time convincing myself it's a blood sugar thing. Makes me wish I could dive with a drysuit.

Hi there, I'm also diabetic, I'm in Toronto and I'm brand-new to diving. Where can I get glucose gel? Thanks.

I'm not qualified to say much here, but I noticed this...
...but now (and for the last couple years) I can go entire days without eating.
Do you have really poor eating habits?

I'll eat twice as much on a dive trip as I do at home, but yo-yo eating is not healthy for anyone.

newdiver-toronto:
Hi there, I'm also diabetic, I'm in Toronto and I'm brand-new to diving. Where can I get glucose gel? Thanks.
I bet your pharmacy, but here is a site offering a free sample: here Google gave many other sources.

A nice, compact snack for diving is beef jerky. High in protein - what Lloyd said. Guaranteed to keep your blood sugar from crashing. Pack some dental floss, too.

Use a SCUDA, a self contained underwater drinking aparatus with a sugary drink in it. It will sustain you till you get out of the water, and you can regulate your intake based on the exertion of the dive. Eat a very high protein/fat and complex carbohydrate breakfast before hand, as this will sustain you for a long period and reduce the blood sugar "crash" (due to your body overestimating the amount of insulin needed to handle your sugar intake)

Hi Naturenan,

The last post in the thread to which you have just responded was made over 8 months ago (11-16-05). The original post was made nearly a year ago (08-04-05). As such, you may wish to email or PM the inquirer with your comment.

Regards,

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom