Blow a Safety Stop? Redescend ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Safety stops are NEVER mandatory!

you sure of that?

see "Safety Stop Required" below

padi_rdp.jpg

PADI requires a 3 minute safety stop if you "come up to or within 3 pressure groups of a no decompression limit and for any dive to a depth of 100 ft or deeper." It's written right on the PADI/DS&T RDP.....

Did you learn this in a OW or an AOW? My agency was not PADI, we were just told very minimal information and something like you are basic open water, so it doesnt apply to you yet.

My friend goes by what she calls the 60/60 rule, as long as she never goes below 60' and stays down less than 60 minutes she doesnt have to worry about it.

I heard a guy say that all deco stops are safety stops, but not all safety stops are deco stops. I am thinking that in the other thread there may have been confusion between the definition of safety stops and deco stops.

As far as time lengths on deco stops....is this decision what makes some computers labled conservative?

Did you learn this in a OW or an AOW? My agency was not PADI, we were just told very minimal information and something like you are basic open water, so it doesnt apply to you yet.

that's what the PADI tables require down to 90 feet. below that, safety stops are required for all dives

a slow ascent is good practice on every dive ... added to a slow ascent, a series of safety stops (say at 30, 20, and 10 feet)
are good practice for every dive

Hey!!!!! this is new.... the last tables I bought don't have that "safety stop required" .

No wonder I don't understand most of the people in charters.

Thank you PADI, there wasn't enough arguments about semantics. Now new divers for sure will never figure out what's what.

you know what ... those are my old tables

it is possible that PADI did away with the requirement recently

gotta find out now ....

Safety stops are NEVER mandatory! If your accent rate is normal or less don't worry about it! If it was too fast figure out what went wrong and do not repeat it! Learn form your mistakes and get better! In no-Deco diving there is NO required stop! If it were it would be a DECO stop!

you sure of that? see "Safety Stop Required" below

http://precisiondiving.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/padi_rdp.jpg

What is a simple definition of a safety stop?
What is a simple defintion of a Deco Stop?

Could this difference of opinion be a result of different agencies having different reccomendations. If this is true, it could account for some of the varying opions and vast confusion on the other thread.

If it is a safety stop it is, by definition not required.

If it is a decopression stop it is, by definition required.

If PADI requires a safety stop ... well, what can I say, PADI loves to redefine the language to suit their own ends.

you know what ... those are my old tables

it is possible that PADI did away with the requirement recently

gotta find out now ....

Well I don't know how old are those, I'm looking at one with "copyright 1985, 1987, 1988, 1989" and doesn't have it. Also wonder why they skipped 1986 in the copyright.

comparing the black squares nondeco limit times are the same, wait Im typing and looking at the tables
.... now that I took out the mega magnifying glass there is a note about safety stops required anytime yadah yadah 3 pressure groups yadah yadah more small font.

ok sorry, my mistake, I thought PADI's safety stop was the same as YMCA, just a suggestion for ALL dives.
To me a "safety stop" has always been optional, never ever EVER to be confused with a deco stop.

http://precisiondiving.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/padi_rdp.jpg

What is a simple definition of a safety stop?
What is a simple defintion of a Deco Stop?

Could this difference of opinion be a result of different agencies having different reccomendations. If this is true, it could account for some of the varying opions and vast confusion on the other thread.
The definitions actually serve a purpose. The PADI RDP is strictly for recreational no-decompression diving. So, by definition if you are doing a decompression stop (deco-stop) you have exceeded the limits of the table. A safety stop on the other hand is stricly done by divers doing a non-decompression dive. Why does PADI recommend a safety stop?! Because of this study-->Doppler Detection of Silent Venous Gas Emboli in Non-Decompression Diving Involving Safety Stops.

If it is a safety stop it is, by definition not required.

If it is a decopression stop it is, by definition required.

If PADI requires a safety stop ... well, what can I say, PADI loves to redefine the language to suit their own ends.

Yes I thought so too.... but I'm looking right at it. On the 2nd side along a bunch of notes on font size 4 (maybe less) has a Safety Stop paragraph and spells out that is required under certain conditions.

Reading the YMCA table the safety stop note is a recommendation

So by PADI's definition the safety stop may or may not be required. I can't believe this never caught my attention.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom