Blown hose during open water checkout dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Madcows

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Last weekend I was able to spend the weekend in the quarry with my youngest son while he did his open water check out dives. It was a small class with three other students. The class consisted of three students, one refresher student, and two instructors. I guess I was being a dive buddy for my youngest. Anyway, we were on our next to last dive and were midway through the dive. We had just told the instructor what our gauge pressure was and were heading back to the platform. A minute later one of our classmates had a blown hose. Fortunately the one instructor was following closely behind the classmate and initiated a buddy air share and an immediate ascent.

A few things were driven home in my mind. One, training is imperative. Because the instructor had repeatedly drilled the students on air sharing, the student was able to complete this task without too much concern. Second, the pressure in the tank went from 2000 psi to empty within 30 seconds. This really made me aware of how little time one has when things go bad. Third, the response of the quarry staff was amazing. By the time the student and instructor had reached the surface, a rescue diver had already enter the water, oxygen was on the dock, and other staff were present at the dock ready administer first aid.

I truly appreciate my dive center's culture of safety, and I am grateful for the excellent instructors they have!

Aye a catastrophic equipment failure is rare but it does happen.
Normally hoses tend to blow when the gas is being turned on but you and your son now know that they can go at any time. I also have had to react to gear failure (stuck inflators, a second stage coming off) underwater during dives- it's not fun but good to keep you on you toes.

Glad everyone was safe- hope they took time to log it and learn it.

Which hose failed?

The primary regulator LP hose failed. What was interesting is that the student didnt know there was an issue until the instructor had him going to the surface. He was under the impression it was a drill. I don't understand how there wasn't a change in the 'draw' from his regulator. But perhaps he was inexperienced enough to not notice the difference, or maybe there just isnt that much of a difference. Idk, but it certainly made me think about obtaining a pony tank as a backup.

Potentially scary situation handled in a calm and safe manner. Kudos to the instructor for having an eye on things and teaching the students to be calm (kudos to the student too).

It's especially unnerving that the student didn't notice a problem. I haven't ever had this happen, so I wouldn't know how it would feel. I could imagine that the air was obviously leaking out of the hose, though, and it was probably making some sort of noise.

Kudos to that instructor, so many times I have seen instructors leading a dive, blissfully unaware that the divers behind them are not certified. I always use a dive master or AI to lead tours, so I can trail and watch the students.

This really shows the benefit of the buddy system. Things that happen to your equipment may not be obvious to you, but your buddy will pick up on something like a blown hose right away. I was once caught on a line around my tank valve, and my buddy had it removed before I even knew it was there.

The primary regulator LP hose failed. What was interesting is that the student didnt know there was an issue until the instructor had him going to the surface. He was under the impression it was a drill. I don't understand how there wasn't a change in the 'draw' from his regulator. But perhaps he was inexperienced enough to not notice the difference, or maybe there just isnt that much of a difference. Idk, but it certainly made me think about obtaining a pony tank as a backup.

A more experienced diver would have noticed the noise, but with a hood on, and lotsa people blowing bubbles in close proximity, it might not have been that noticable. I think it is cool that the student didn't know it was for real, that probably made it easier for everyone.

Things like this are EXACTLy why I wear a pony bottle. It is simple, cheap insurance for all kinds of problems. I've seen hoses blow on several occasions, but as previously mentioned, it is often when the tank is first turned on.

i have only had 1 hose blow underwater .
it was the 2nd stage low pressure hose on about dive 12.
10 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom