Bluegrass Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverjed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
So tell me about diving in Kentucky...must be somewhat special if there is an entire thread devoted to it.

Where do you go and what's it like?

There is really not to much special about diving in Kentucky. We have a few lakes and a few quarries. I just love to dive anywhere. Usually about 5-10 ft. of Viz in the lakes and the quarries can range from 10 ft. up to 40 ft. of Viz. South Holston Lake down in Tenn. can have about 50 ft. of Viz at the dam.

All usually have marine life to see. You used to be able to crack open the fresh water clams in the lakes and feed the fish from your hand. But pollution (Sewage spills) has killed off 99% of the clams and a good portion of the fish.

I know I love to camp also when diving. The quarries in the area offer descent camping. Cerulean Springs (Quarry) probably has the best camping but Falling Rock Park has the best campfires (Infernos).

What Phil has said is true, although I am hardly an expert on the diving sites in Ky. Only have a few dives in with the KPP.

What makes the diving in Ky special, is the people. You will not find a more hospitable, friendlier group of people (much less divers) than my fellow hillbillies. Nothing like good ol southern hospitality.

Although I have become a WWW I still look forward to any chance I get to meet with my fellow Kentuckians.

socaldiver once bubbled...
.... What makes the diving in Ky special, is the people. You will not find a more hospitable, friendlier group of people (much less divers) than my fellow hillbillies. ....

Ok so I went to Michigan to met a couple of you guys.... but the guys were great!!

CincyBengalsFan once bubbled...
There is really not to much special about diving in Kentucky. We have a few lakes and a few quarries. I just love to dive anywhere. Usually about 5-10 ft. of Viz in the lakes and the quarries can range from 10 ft. up to 40 ft. of Viz. South Holston Lake down in Tenn. can have about 50 ft. of Viz at the dam.

All usually have marine life to see. You used to be able to crack open the fresh water clams in the lakes and feed the fish from your hand. But pollution (Sewage spills) has killed off 99% of the clams and a good portion of the fish.

I know I love to camp also when diving. The quarries in the area offer descent camping. Cerulean Springs (Quarry) probably has the best camping but Falling Rock Park has the best campfires (Infernos).

Do you dive in alot of the man-made lakes?

That's all there is around here. I don't think Kentucky has anything large enough to dive in that's natural besides rivers.

that dive the rivers but my experience has been that its mostly people that are "working" i.e. they are collecting mussels(which is illegal in Ky by this method. There are some divers that are on working dives that are doing environmental surveys for various corporations or governmant agencies. The other thing that they are doing is noodling for catfish. The viz is usually very poor and there are frequently currents that can be quite significant. Entanglement hazards can be quite high in some places also.

All in all it not your typical recreational diving.

Does the Tennessee River run through Kentucky? My Uncle's uncle had a dive operation there years ago doing just that, collecting muscles I believe, made a fortune, had a whole team under him. Shipped the muscles to Japan.

You're pretty special to us, too! :)

Monica
socaldiver once bubbled...
What Phil has said is true, although I am hardly an expert on the diving sites in Ky. Only have a few dives in with the KPP.

What makes the diving in Ky special, is the people. You will not find a more hospitable, friendlier group of people (much less divers) than my fellow hillbillies. Nothing like good ol southern hospitality.

Although I have become a WWW I still look forward to any chance I get to meet with my fellow Kentuckians.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom