Blueprints to Spiegel Grove?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If i remember correctly the are 6 mooring balls that are attached to the Grove.From what I can see most of the Captains like to try and put ya on the second ball from the bow, that puts you just about at the bridge.I not trying to be vauge but I am doing this from memory.Following the line will put ya on the side of the ship at about 60fsw ya cant miss the bridge from that point, that in and of its self is a dive.Depending in the current if you can head on toward the stern about 60ft or so past the bridge you'll see a set of cranes.I would not recommend goina much past those cranes untill you dove the site a few times.The loading dock/helo pad (which fell off from the impact) seem to almost creat its own funky current due to the huge are it covers and it can be very sudden and very strong.Beyond that you can send most of your dive at about 80-85fsw and see lots of neat stuff.As was mentioned in another post Scuba Do does a great job and are very through. And I think that the Largo chamber of Commerce had at one point in time a scetch of the outside of the Grove much like they do of the Duane and Bibb.But they more than likely was pulled when she went down on her side.Below is a link to a short video clip you'll get an Idea of the out side form the narration on the clip.Good luck

http://www.innovative-dynamics.com/uwvideo.htm

WreckWriter once bubbled...

A short time would be my guess.

WW

Hi Tom... Yep, kinda surprised it didn't happen the first few weeks it was open with the frenzy of people going out there.

I dove it about a month after it finally went down and was very impressed with the size. I didn't do any penetration since I didn't have a cave cert'd buddy with me at the time... scootering her was a blast though!

Hey,
I can't open the linkfor the video.

???

That is a nice video If you watch the video you will see why sportdivers should NOT got in to wrecks everything they own is hanging from them. And they not even put them snorkels on right. I'm going to get the video to show my student what not to do. I hope this dose not make anybody mad it is just my 2-cents

WYDT once bubbled...
Hi Tom... Yep, kinda surprised it didn't happen the first few weeks it was open with the frenzy of people going out there.

I dove it about a month after it finally went down and was very impressed with the size. I didn't do any penetration since I didn't have a cave cert'd buddy with me at the time... scootering her was a blast though!

Time's a coming. It took years with the Bibb but primarily because she doesn't see the traffic.

I've done her 4 or 5 times now, once we spent about an hour inside. I certainly DO NOT recommend penetration of this or any wreck to untrained and/or inexperienced folks. Its a big wreck with lots of twists and turns, wouldn't be too tough to screw up and I for one don't want to do the recovery!

Tom

BlueWaterDiving once bubbled...
What is this guy thinking??? There are no words. :confused:
Whats next??

Unfortunately what's next is that someone who has the deck plans will probably post them for all to see.

WW

Funny thing Brent,
I watched that vi last night and thought EXACTLY that - this is penetration diving - I see no warnings about being cave or wreck certified or redundant air supply sources like TWINS or a PONY.

It was an accident waiting to happen. No reels, no redundancy.

As a resident and diver of Key Largo I have been on this wreck over 30 times now. Every time I see something new and it truly is amazing, probably moreso because of the way she ended up in the water. This is an advanced and dangerous dive, which is why the operators down here are very cautious.

As far as maps etc., the Key Largo Chamber of Commerce has advised us that they are working on one and will offer it when completed.........don't know when that will be.

Reeflover

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom