Boat dive for a novice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xeondavis

Registered
Reaction score
hello all, thinking to do a boat dive in a few weeks. how do people usually dive from a boat? do they go in groups? or do they usually go dive on their own? also do you think it's worth it to dive with a guide for my first boat dive? If I go on my own, I probably won't dive far, just around the boat to get my feet wet and try to observe what other divers do. any others rules I need to follow on a boat dive?

thanks.

I don't know how long you've been diving or where you are geographically, but if you feel comfortable going alone, go right ahead. The captain or DM will probably (hopefully) buddy you with another diver. I felt better going with an instructor for my first ocean dive (I got certified in a quarry).

Best of luck!

I'm a new diver and have done a few boat dives and love it .... I think its the funnest way of getting in the water ... I would use a guide if possible .... And have fun...

you will have a lot of fun. it is a wonderful way to dive.
1. mark your gear before you get on the boat. its amazing how much everyones gear looks the same. check to make sure you have everything, twice, before getting on the boat.
2. dont touch anyones set up but your own.
3. gear up out of your bag and around your own area. boat decks get real cluttered.
4. usually everyone gears up immediately wanting to be the first in. I don't see any real advantage to doing so. coordinate it with your buddy. no one likes to be all ready geared up and ready to go when the buddy is just putting on their suit.
5. do not try to walk on the boat deck while wearing fins. its a formula for a disaster.
6. listen very carefully to the dive briefing. it has important information. if you aren't sure, ask the skipper or the divemaster. asking questions is how we learn.
7. be a good buddy and do a buddy check. agree on a plan before hand and dive the plan.
8. diving around the boat is a good idea. diving around the anchor if it is properly placed is an even better idea as it gives a way down and up.
9. don't go too far.
10. some boats have group dives led by a divemaster, this is common in resort areas. in other places, people dive in buddy pairs. I am not a fan of diving with more than one other diver as groups of three usually don't work for beginners.
11. Using a guide. I never have. I have been one on several dives. If you are not comfortable diving in the area you are going to it makes sense.
12. depending on the boat, people get into the water using a giant stride or a back roll. go in with air in the bc and your regulator in the mouth with one hand holding your mask. when in doubt, ask the divemaster or the skipper. I learned a lot from those folks over the years.

I would highly recommend you give it a try. I have used boats on the east and west coast as well as in the Caribean. They will get you to some of the better dive sites as well, you don't have to walk fully suited up a long distance to the entry point. As soon as you hit the water you can be desending to the site rather than having to surface swim out to the site. All the boats I have been on there has been no problem buddying up with people. All you have to do is ask the operator if they have anyone available that needs a buddy or you may be able to join another buddy pair. Most operators will put you in the water with someone that is familiar with the site also, or at least give you a detail discription of the site.

I love boat diving, and usually find a buddy with no problem.

Just make sure to only inflate your bcd a little before you roll/ step in - not a lot !

Last edited:
So much of the advise is location dependant. More information will lead to more specific and hepful feedback.

General advise.
Talk to the boat captain, or shop before you book. Let them know you are new and what your expectations are. They want you to have a good time and a safe dive so they will provide you with the information you need.

Boat diving is fun, be safe and let us know where you are going, we are here to help.

hello all, thinking to do a boat dive in a few weeks. how do people usually dive from a boat? do they go in groups? or do they usually go dive on their own? also do you think it's worth it to dive with a guide for my first boat dive? If I go on my own, I probably won't dive far, just around the boat to get my feet wet and try to observe what other divers do. any others rules I need to follow on a boat dive?

thanks.

My experience - just let the captain know before hand that I'm a noob, don't pretend to know more than I do, let him/her know what I'm concerned about, listen tonand follow directions - and it's a great time! Go for it.

sweet. thanks to all. I think I'm ready for my boat dive now. I was just worried that they all would leave me alone and I look clueless on the boat :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom