Boat dive for a novice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Where do you live? Down here in the Florida Keys we do lots of boot dives."

I bet a boot dive would hurt like hell, hahaha. "Just kidding"

A dive guide would be the way to go, this way you feel safe and secure. Do you have any friends you can go with, it helps. I love diving in groups, the personalities are fun and I practice good diving skills by watching other people. :wink:

Boat diving is awesome! I wouldn't do anything out of my comfort zone. If you are wanting to venture off from the boat a little i would definitely learn some navigational skills. Learn how to use a compass, or at least know how to read the topography to find your way back. Mark your gear also, there's a lot of confusion usually while packing up.

I did my first boat dive/ocean dive last week, and it was wonderful! I went with three other friends/divers. We chartered a boat ourselves ($60/person). The boat captain was wonderful, helpful, and understood that we were new divers so he worked with us accordingly. There is a lot of new experiences boat diving. I found it best to be in the company of a small group of friends, instead of being on a 20-person boat where everyone is sort of "doing their own thing." Plan your trip out, communicate with your captain, and your trip will be a blast!

Some generic observations:
1) The crew rules the boat. Listen to them.
2) Pay attention to the location / dive briefing. The captain might not be a psychic but he/she is the next best thing. The briefings I've received have included expected depth, overview of the topography, areas of interest, and even what type of sealife.
3) Talk to the other divers. You are going to be spending some time with them might as well get to know them a little. IMO divers are more than willing to share their knowledge with you.
4) Anchor line is great for going up and down and can really reduce any surface swim back to the boat.
5) If you come up aways from the boat DON'T PANIC. Put air in the BC, try to get visual sight of the boat and signal them that you are ok. If you start drifting away don't panic, it is highly unlikely that you are going to drift faster than the boat can move.
6) If you are feeling a little sea sick the best cure is in the water. I've gone from queasy to A-OK by descending from the surface to 20 feet. You aren't getting knocked around as much and the cooler water will help out also.

Boat diving is one of the easier ways to get to a site. My question to you is was not all of the previously mentioned stuff in your open water class? This is all basic stuff that should have been covered. Etiquette, storing gear, listening to the crew, exiting and getting back on, basic boat terminology, etc. This is all basic info.

I'm new myself, but all of my 12 dives have been boat dives on three different boats. I'm not trying to sound like I know anything, but in case my experiences could help you here they are:
Each boat had somewhat different rules about entries/exits, especially regarding fins, however each boat captain clearly explained the procedures and they were not confusing.
If there are a lot of other divers, it may seem like there is a bit of a rush trying to get everybody in the water, especially if its pretty choppy. Its easy to feel "herded" and to forget/skip the pre-dive buddy checks. If you can enter close to when your buddy or group enters you'll have a better chance of doing the checks.
You'll have a blast !

We did cover some materials regarding a boat dive. But it was really fast. We talked about exit/entry, gearing up in tight space, etiquette, etc. I was just trying to learn from the board if there are more hints/tips/tricks I need to be aware of for my first boat dive. Thanks again to all. You've been really helpful. I guess two important points are to be honest and relay the info to the boat operator that I'm new and don't do anything that's outside my comfort zone.

Boat diving is one of the easier ways to get to a site. My question to you is was not all of the previously mentioned stuff in your open water class? This is all basic stuff that should have been covered. Etiquette, storing gear, listening to the crew, exiting and getting back on, basic boat terminology, etc. This is all basic info.

As a couple of people have either said directly or hinted, there can be a big difference from one boat to the next. Different locations tend to follow certain protocols, but even within a given location you can have differences, even with different boats from the same operator. One of the biggest factors is the size/design of the boat. For the past week I have been diving from what is often called a 6-pack--a small outboard-driven boat with very limited space. What you do with that boat is very different from what you will do in a large 24 passenger boat with twin inboard engiines.

In all cases, whenever you are diving with a resport-type operator, remember that the operator wants to make a living, and making a living requires satisfied customers. The owner/operator wants you to come back and to make a positive recommendation to your friends. Tell the captain right away that you are not familiar with the boat protocols. You should get all the information you need.

It would REALLY help if you told us WHERE you are diving?

Some boats provide a DM/Instructor as a guide. In the Keys this is NOT generally the case. In Coz it is a requirement.

You can buddy up with someone on the boat. Pay close attention to the dive briefing, and note any current, instructions for getting in/out of the water, expected dive times, and profiles. Do a buddy check, or at least note the type of equipment your buddy is using. Discuss with your buddy your plan based on the briefing.

If you are diving in the open ocean, I like to carry a sausage. Make sure to check your air before entry, and have a good time.

As a couple of people have either said directly or hinted, there can be a big difference from one boat to the next. Different locations tend to follow certain protocols, but even within a given location you can have differences, even with different boats from the same operator. One of the biggest factors is the size/design of the boat. For the past week I have been diving from what is often called a 6-pack--a small outboard-driven boat with very limited space. What you do with that boat is very different from what you will do in a large 24 passenger boat with twin inboard engiines.

In all cases, whenever you are diving with a resport-type operator, remember that the operator wants to make a living, and making a living requires satisfied customers. The owner/operator wants you to come back and to make a positive recommendation to your friends. Tell the captain right away that you are not familiar with the boat protocols. You should get all the information you need.

Go go 6-pack! :)

Back
Top Bottom