Bodybuilding and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sea-man2003

Reaction score
Hello there,

well...I don’t know if this is the correct channel to ask, but I really do not know where else.......I apologize if I’m wrong......

Does bodybuilding goes with diving?

The reason I asked is because I read about this nitrogen retention benefits available in bodybuilding supplements such as whey protein. It’s supposed to help deliver protein to your muscles more efficiently.

We know that nitrogen is an inert gas and is supposed to be exhaled out or pass out during respiration.

Is this nitrogen retention benefit available in these supplements dangerous to divers?

Say if I am consuming this supplement, is it going to make me unable to gas off the excess nitrogen in my body efficiently after a dive?

I'm kind of worried if there should be any side effects.....

Pls help to enlighten me.

Thanks a lot!

I had this discussion with some of the guys at the gym. The nitrogen in supplements is nitrogen as a nutrient, not a dissolved gas. Nitrogen, per se, doesn't cause hyperbaric issues (other than narcosis), you can insert any gas into the mix and it will dissolve in the tissues. Unless someone has some research on the subject, I would have to GUESS that there would be no problem with supplements containing nitrogen.

Supplements such as creatine monohydrate & whey protein are nitrogen-containing/nitrogen-retention enhancing compounds. However, the nitrogen in question is in molecular, not gaseous form. As such, these compounds will not affect your risk of DCS on the basis increased dissolved N2 in tissue.

However, one aspect of their pharmacodynamics the diver will want to be aware of is a propensity to draw water into the body compartments where they are located. As dehydration is recognized as a contributing factor in many cases of DCS, staying well hydrated, always important while diving, takes on especial importance while supplementing with such formulations.

Additionally, along with GI distress, side effects of creatine can include dizziness & muscle cramping, both of which are potential hazards to safe scuba. A reasonable trial on dry land to assess for such reactions is recommended prior to scuba.

Nice thing is, one can cycle off both of these supplements about a week prior to diving and not have to be concerned about their possible adverse effects on scuba. Plus, the impact of short term discontinuation on a prolonged regimen of bodybuilding should be no more than trivial.

As a final point, it is believed by a number of experts that strenuous exercise involving the joints prior to, during & after diving can produce micronuclei/seed bubbles that dispose to DCS. As such, it appears prudent to skip the bodybuilding on any day on which you are diving.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Happy holidays.

DocVikingo

DocVikingo once bubbled...
Supplements such as whey protein & creatine monohydrate are nitrogen-containing/nitrogen-retention enhancing compounds. However, the nitrogen in question is in molecular, not gaseous form. As such, these compounds will not affect your risk of DCS on the basis increased dissolved N2 in tissue.

However, one aspect of their pharmacodynamics the diver will want to be aware of is a propensity to draw water into the body compartments where they are located. As dehydration is recognized as a contributing factor in many cases of DCS, staying well hydrated, always important while diving, takes on especial importance while supplementing with such formulations.

Additionally, along with GI distress, side effects of creatine can include dizziness & muscle cramping, both of which are potential hazards to safe scuba. A reasonable trial on dry land to assess for such reactions is recommended prior to scuba.

Nice thing is, one can cycle off both of these supplements about a week prior to diving and not have to be concerned about their possible adverse effects on scuba. Plus, the impact of short term discontinuation on a prolonged regimen of bodybuilding should be no more than trivial.

As a final point, it is believed by a number of experts that strenuous exercise involving the joints prior to, during & after diving can produce micronuclei/seed bubbles that dispose to DCS. As such, it appears prudent to skip the bodybuilding on any day on which you are diving.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Happy holidays.

DocVikingo

Thanks for posting.I also workout with weights on a regular basis and consume whey protein,L-glutamine,creatine and HMB.The creatine usually affects my GI for only the first week after i have not taken it and resume again.I have always kept myself extremely well hydrated which is why i have a p-valve in my drysuit.....hehe.I always drink a good amount of water between dives.So far i have had no problem diving.I never workout the same day after diving.

I have had some days(non diving days) where i have not drank enough water and have noticed cramping and felt extremely dehydrated.After drinking a good amount of water the symptoms subsided.Sometimes its hard to choose water over a good ol pepsi:D

Hi there,

i am indeed very grateful for all the advice dispensed.

Now that i know the difference between supplement nitrogen and gases nitrogen, i am more relieved and happy that i can continue diving.

I'll remember to cycle the "protein drinks" and consume more water when going on diving trips.

What can i say?

You guys are nothing but GREAT!!!!

Thank you very much!!!

:lifter:

I never even thought about this one, although I do both. I also use some supplements, even if not heavily. Never had any problem with it, but it's nice to know that there are some issues concerning the relationship between the two activities.

Thanks DocVikingo for the insight.

Ari :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom