Bonaire Dive Resorts- Buddies, Plaza Or Other

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lynnemari

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
BONAIRE LOOKS LIKE THE PLACE MY HUSBAND AND I WILL CHOOSE FOR OUR 25TH WEDDING ANNIVERSARY! LOOKING AT THE PLAZA ( BECAUSE OF SO MANY GOOD THINGS I HAVE HERD FROM THIS SITE.) I DID GO TO THER WEB SITE AND IT LOOKS GOOD. I HAVE ALSO GOTTEN BROCHURES FROM BUDDY DIVE AND JUDGING BOTH OF THEM ONLY FROM THAT BIT OF INFO, THEY LOOK EQUIVALENT. WHICH ONE HAS THE BEST SHORE DIVING, EASIEST,TO ACCESS. WE WOULD BE USING A DIVE PACKAGE WITH EITHER ONE ( ROOM WITH FULL KITCHEN). AND THIS MAY SEEM LIKE A PRISSY QUESTION, BUT WHICH HAS COMFORTABLE BEDS. HEY I NEED MY BEAUTY SLEEP! :cheeky:
JUST ONE MORE QUESTION DOES BONAIRE HAVE DIVES FOR ALL LEVELS?
THANKS
LYNNE :mermaid:

Lynne,
I can not give you an opinon on Plaza, but have stayed at Buddy's the last two years and am going to stay there this fall. Friends of ours have stayed at other locations on Bonaire but now insist on Buddy's. As far as level of diving, I am not sure what you are asking. Most is easy diving. You can do deep diving and there are a couple of wrecks. Buddy's have a rebreather course if that interest you. The best thing about Bonaire in my opinon is no schedule. You can dive anytime you want. We did a 2am dive.
Best wishes on you 25th, just celebrated mine.
Tim

Welcome to the board Lynne.

Everyone has their favorite place to stay on Bonaire. The Plaza is the more upscale place on Bonaire, the exact amount of difference is a matter of opinion. I have not stayed at the Plaza but I have spent several weeks at Buddy and have plans to return in July. The diving at either location is going to be about the same so I would not base my resort selection on that. If it were me deciding, the factors I would use to decide between the two are cost and my desire for "fancier" accomidations. Both resorts are owned by the same people. Pay close attention to what is offered in the packages. You WILL want a rental vehicle of some sort, a pickup is the best option. With the exception of breakfast ,I would highly recommend that you NOT get any meal inclusive plans. There are a lot of good places to eat on Bonaire, both small local places and more upscale restaurants. While the resorts usually have good food, the others are usually less expensive and offer you a better varity.

As for the diving. Most of it is relatively easy shore diving. Most is in 30-100ft range. If you need/want to do tech diving....200ft+ wreck or rebreather diving, there is a tech operation on island that I can direct you to.

Do a search on this board and come join us on the Bonaire board, anything about Bonaire you could possible want to know is there. www.bonairetalk.com

I believe the Harbor Village resort has re-openedand. It is in the same stretch of shore as Captain Don's, Lions, Buddy, Sand Dollar, etc. Harbor Village may be more luxurious than the Plaza if that is what you are looking for.

I have only stayed at the Plaza when we have gone there 3 times (a return in June is booked) I have really enjoyed the Plaza. Beds were always comfortable.

However this year we will be looking at other places to stay as the family is getting larger and we need to keep it central. We are hoping to find a house to rent that we like for next year.

Just 2 of you going? Bonaire is a great idea for that 25th getaway. No matter where you stay you will enjoy the diving. As Herman said try bonaire talk's website loads of info there.

Stayed at the "Plaza" room problems took three days to fix. Toucan diving did not like DM 's did nothing compared to Coz. Put 18 people on a 30ft Island Hopper one day we had to suit up in three stages you could not move. Tried to bill me for a dive I did not make and it was hell to try to convince them I was not on their cattle boat at that time! Told them to sue me and get thier SH#T together and waked out. Will never go back.EVER! The problem is the same guy who owns the Plaza owns Dive Buddy, Hum??? But I do not hear probs from there may be better folks working there the guy who runs Toucan at the plaza was a how can I say it "Worthl$ss" and walked away from us when we were talking to him. Did want to reach out and touch him big time! Skip that place!

Hi

Bonaire is a good place to go. We used Buddy's. Enjoy your anniversary. My wife and I are also celebrating our 25th this June. We are trying to decide on a dive trip location.

Hi Lynne:
Of course you will hear several different opinions on any web site.
I personally love the Plaza Resort and Toucan dive shop there.
I have always had a sleepable bed, and I do like the full breakfast/ with omelet bar, that you can buy there. It saves time from having to walk into town, and allows you to get geared up and not lose dive time.
I'll be heading back there in September.
Congrats on 25 years! (And Herman congrats to you and Kath too) You can't go wrong in Bonaire that is for sure!

Be sure to do a few dives with Bruce Bowker's Carib Inn. A small boat, personal attention, great outfit.

Back
Top Bottom