Bonaire lodging options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Herk_Man

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
So I've been reading the trip reports and all of the complaints/praise for various operations on Bonaire.

I'm already booked to stay at the Sand Dollar so that's set. I'm pretty easy going and flexible so I'm sure I'll make the best of it either way.

There were several places recommended but what is missing, in my opinion, from most of those, is the package type deal when it comes from diving amenities. I don't really want to have to book a hotel room, then a separate dive package (that includes unlimited air), a separate rental car agreement, etc. I like the convenience of having it all in one neat package so I don't have to run all over the place to get it put together.

Other than Buddy Dive and Sand Dollar, what other (good) options are available on Bonaire that provide lodging, a dive shop, transportation, dining, etc. And is there anyone out there that feels they've "broken the code" in some other way that provides all of the above at a reasonable price with the least amount of pain?

HM

We have used Den Lamen, next to Sand Dollar, which I believe shares the dive operation, as well as at Buddy several times.

After several trips we found it less expensive, and as easy to book a la cart. Book a condo on line, rent truck threw ABC, and do a Buddy package. Or similar shore pak from some one else. All easy, and all done well before we arrive, and we have never gone back to the "package deal"

I stayed at the Sand Dollar in July and loved it. The house reef (Bari reef) is the best on the island and it's within walking distance. I can't speak for any place else but I can't imagine much better than the Sand Dollar.

Some of the smaller operators who rent condos on the island will put together a very competitive package for you. The package can consist of lodging, truck rental, and diving (nitrox/air + weights) with a local dive shop. You just have to ask.

That being said, you shouldn't fear putting your own package together. You'd be surprised how quickly you can complete the separate check-in processes. If you're quick about it, it can all be done in a little over an hour.

I'm not sure where you've been looking but most accomodations in Bonaire offer some sort of room/diving/truck package. There's not really an "all inclusive" package if that's what you're looking for. The closest is probably Bonaire Oceanfront Apartment which offers a one week package for $750 pp which includes room, u/l diving with onsite Buddy's Diving, nitrox, p/u truck with all insurance and 5 days of breakfast at "It Rains Fishes". I don't think it gets any cheaper than that.

Welcome at Bonaire Oceanfront Apartments Bonaire. - Oceanfront Apartments Bonaire - Pool & Onsite Dive Shop

The closest is probably Bonaire Oceanfront Apartment which offers a one week package for $750 pp which includes room, u/l diving with onsite Buddy's Diving, nitrox, p/u truck with all insurance and 5 days of breakfast at "It Rains Fishes". I don't think it gets any cheaper than that.
You can easily do better price-wise if you are willing to stay somewhere that isn't right on the water.

I stayed at the Sand Dollar in July and loved it. The house reef (Bari reef) is the best on the island and it's within walking distance. I can't speak for any place else but I can't imagine much better than the Sand Dollar.

That's good to hear! The local dive shop that booked the trip for us really recommended Buddy Dive but the higher price for a free breakfast and a rum drink (I'm a tequila and beer guy) just didn't seem to be justified over Sand Dollar.

Am really looking forward to this trip. 20th anniversary trip for me and the squeeze!

HM

Someone on another part of the forum recommended GoldenReefInn. Their Stay/Drive/Dive package for 4 people looks really good pricewise. Any yays or nays for that operation?

Back
Top Bottom