Bonaire March 5-13

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you everyone for all the great advice! We are really excited about the trip and see it as an adventure. Buddy Dive sounds like it will meet all of our needs and we are prepared for the "girl next door" One thing about us is we are good at the country club or beer and peanuts. As long as the place is clean and friendly we are good. Both of us are outgoing, treat locals and staff with respect, and usually have no issue getting along with just about anybody.

We did a little ck dive yesterday as we have some new equipment. Everything is great and we start the packing process today!

We have reservations at Sea Bonaire and also the little Italian place that is closing end of March...name escapes me. 2 nice dinners out will probably be fine this trip. The rest will be casual. But any advice on dress for the "nice" dinners out? I am sure she is fine in a sun dress, am I ok in a silk shirt and nice shorts or are pants required? Trying to pack very light this trip.

Also on the bus ride we will make that a game time decision based on crowds. 20 bucks for a cab is no worry.

Great advice on the keys. I have a lanyard and also a small waterproof dive box. I figured a little cash, ID, CC, truck and room key will be with me as I dive.

I think my only concern about valuables in the room are the new dive computers, the camera and lights, and the ipad. Hopefully some of this will fit in the safe.

also working on leaving as little in the truck as possible. Shorts and a t shirt, towel and flip flops. I do have a small box with o rings and some misc parts I usually have in my dive bag. Can we just throw this stuff under the seat in the truck and leave the windows open?

Checking on our reservation it did include breakfast so we are good there. Also we have 6 boat dives for the 8 days we are there.

On your last day, go up north and drive around the national park

I would suggest making one of your dive days in the park. You often see things up there that you will not see anywhere else. Go early, and spend the day. You can comforrtably get in 3 nice dives while enjoying the scenery and serenity during your intervals. You must be back at the entrance/exit by 5pm latest.

But any advice on dress for the "nice" dinners out? I am sure she is fine in a sun dress, am I ok in a silk shirt and nice shorts or are pants required? Trying to pack very light this trip.

You will be fine with nice shorts and shirt. Be sure to apply mosquito repellent to your legs and feet before going out. Those little vampires often hang out in the dark spaces under outdoor tables at restaurants.

I do have a small box with o rings and some misc parts I usually have in my dive bag. Can we just throw this stuff under the seat in the truck and leave the windows open?

Probably, but in the end it depends on whether someone looks under your seat and whether they like what they find. The only time our truck was pilfered the thief stole a cheap pair of $8 sunglasses from a small cloth Crown Royal whisky bag my wife left under the seat. After removing the sunglasses the thief thoughtfully returned the bag, along with my wifes hair brush and pony tail holder, to it's hiding place under the seat.

I thought security was the best I had seen it at Buddy when I was there a week ago. We put passports in the safe and a few other things. We did not bother with laptops or extra cameras and had no issues. There is a guard at the entrance from sun down to sun up. He apparently goes around the parking lot and rolls up windows in the trucks too. I always left them down at the end of the day and they were always back up in the morning.

We left cheap sunglasses under the truck seat while diving and had no issues. We dove everywhere from Nokove in the north to Red Slave in the south and it did not appear that anyone pilfered our truck.

We took the buddy bus to the resort with no issues at all. Good opportunity to begin meeting some of your resort mates. I always get the CDW insurance from Buddy though I think it is a scam and told them so in my survey.

You have no doubt heard that the Zhung Kong market is just down the street to the north from Buddy which is handy for chips and OOV (out of vodka) emergencies.

Between Two Buns and Rumba are nice casual places for lunch. We ate at Blennie's which is the bar at BD several times. Next door at Rum Runners is a bit nicer but not fancy. Their calamari was better than Blennie's.

Definitely drive through Gotomeer on the way back from northern dives at least once. Very pretty. We did it a couple of times. It is a bit longer than Rincon but in reality nothing is all that far on Bonaire.

A good way to get closer to the fish is to actually find a place to hang out on the reef and let them come to you. If you approach them from below they are not as worried about as predation takes place from above in most cases.

We have reservations at Sea Bonaire and also the little Italian place that is closing end of March...name escapes me. 2 nice dinners out will probably be fine this trip. The rest will be casual. But any advice on dress for the "nice" dinners out? I am sure she is fine in a sun dress, am I ok in a silk shirt and nice shorts or are pants required? Trying to pack very light this trip.
Great advice on the keys. I have a lanyard and also a small waterproof dive box. I figured a little cash, ID, CC, truck and room key will be with me as I dive.
I think my only concern about valuables in the room are the new dive computers, the camera and lights, and the ipad. Hopefully some of this will fit in the safe..

Hhhmmm, don't know what is closing end of March. Shorts, collared golf shirt and sundress are as dressy as we ever get and sandals - no heels (make that mistake once). Ditto on the bug spray - I keep a small spray bottle in my handbag at all times. Ankles, even soles of feet have been bit up under the table.
During the day if you keep your doors open they will blow through. As the winds die around sunset, shut the unit up to keep them out.
We don't even bring the ID, just a few bills for a snack or drink and keys. DO bring water - take your empty bottles, fill about 1/4 way up, lay on the side in freezer and top before you head out. Nice cold water after your dive or drive around the island.
I'll look for you at breakfast.

You will be fine with nice shorts and shirt. Be sure to apply mosquito repellent to your legs and feet before going out. Those little vampires often hang out in the dark spaces under outdoor tables at restaurants.

Probably, but in the end it depends on whether someone looks under your seat and whether they like what they find. The only time our truck was pilfered the thief stole a cheap pair of $8 sunglasses from a small cloth Crown Royal whisky bag my wife left under the seat. After removing the sunglasses the thief thoughtfully returned the bag, along with my wifes hair brush and pony tail holder, to it's hiding place under the seat.

Oh jeez.. they steal the wifes hair brush its OVER! Good to know there are conscientious thieves on the island!

I would suggest making one of your dive days in the park. You often see things up there that you will not see anywhere else. Go early, and spend the day. You can comforrtably get in 3 nice dives while enjoying the scenery and serenity during your intervals. You must be back at the entrance/exit by 5pm latest.

How do you do so many dives for the day when it is my understanding the resort will only allow you to take 2 tanks per person at a time?

I thought security was the best I had seen it at Buddy when I was there a week ago. We put passports in the safe and a few other things. We did not bother with laptops or extra cameras and had no issues. There is a guard at the entrance from sun down to sun up. He apparently goes around the parking lot and rolls up windows in the trucks too. I always left them down at the end of the day and they were always back up in the morning.

We left cheap sunglasses under the truck seat while diving and had no issues. We dove everywhere from Nokove in the north to Red Slave in the south and it did not appear that anyone pilfered our truck.

We took the buddy bus to the resort with no issues at all. Good opportunity to begin meeting some of your resort mates. I always get the CDW insurance from Buddy though I think it is a scam and told them so in my survey.

You have no doubt heard that the Zhung Kong market is just down the street to the north from Buddy which is handy for chips and OOV (out of vodka) emergencies.

Between Two Buns and Rumba are nice casual places for lunch. We ate at Blennie's which is the bar at BD several times. Next door at Rum Runners is a bit nicer but not fancy. Their calamari was better than Blennie's.

Definitely drive through Gotomeer on the way back from northern dives at least once. Very pretty. We did it a couple of times. It is a bit longer than Rincon but in reality nothing is all that far on Bonaire.

A good way to get closer to the fish is to actually find a place to hang out on the reef and let them come to you. If you approach them from below they are not as worried about as predation takes place from above in most cases.

Thats what we are going to like about the island. Laid back, dive on our time, etc. Previous trips on Cozumel we thoroughly enjoyed but the boat was there every am at 730. Will be nice to run our own schedule.

I agree with camping and letting them come to you. Have done that in the Keys when I dove there. Love watching the macro life also.

How do you do so many dives for the day when it is my understanding the resort will only allow you to take 2 tanks per person at a time?

I have not stayed at Buddy Dive so was not aware of that limitation. Seems odd to me, having to go back to the hotel to get more air during the day. I always buy an unlimited air/nitrox package from Wannadive. You can load your pick-up with as many tanks as you want.

I have not stayed at Buddy Dive so was not aware of that limitation. Seems odd to me, having to go back to the hotel to get more air during the day. I always buy an unlimited air/nitrox package from Wannadive. You can load your pick-up with as many tanks as you want.
Two tanks is a guideline. No one at the drive through is counting how many you have. I don't think they are too concerned. 3 per is no problem. you can reload at Caribbean Club or Belmar.

Back
Top Bottom