Bonaire March 5-13

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BD isn't the only one with a two tank limit. They aren't that strict about it if they're not busy and it's really not a problem anyway. The island's not that big. I can't believe the whining that goes on about this.

Sounds like it wont be an issue. No worries.

They do have a large deductible. $565. How they arrived at that amount is a mystery to me. So you get the check in shake down for insurance that has a deductible that is nearly what most of the junkers are worth. I find it annoying. Telerin and others are more reasonable.

Not trying to pick nits but my info and previous experience with both Buddy Dive and Telerin is quite different than what you've been describing. That's why I asked my previous question.

Unless something has changed recently CDW coverage isn't mandatory at Buddy Dive. Last I knew there were three options:
Option 1: No CDW coverage and you're 100% responsible for theft or damage to the truck.
Option 2: CDW coverage with $350 deductible for collision or theft.
Option 3: "Full Insurance" with $100 deductible for collision and $0 deductible for theft.
On the rental contract you have to pick an option, sign for it, and provide a credit card number to cover your choice.
Supporting documentation for the above is available on the web in their Know Before You Go publication, and in their rental contract.

Telerin is also very clear about renter liability and insurance options on their rental contract. (I've rented from Telerin many times and I'm looking at my contract from last month as I type this. I've also had previous discussions with Poppy about it.)
- The renter is responsible for all loss and/or damage to the rented vehicle.
- That liability can be reduced to a $500 deductible by purchasing the CDW policy.
- The CDW policy covers collision and damage, but not theft, vandalism, or damage due to driving off-road.
- Any cost accrued by the renter according to the above will be charged to the same renter's credit card that secured the reservation.
- Poppy doesn't care if renters use the Amex Premium Rental Protection because she doesn't collect damages from Amex. She collects them from renters (as explained above) and the renters have to submit a claim for reimbursement from Amex later. I.e It's not her problem to settle claims incurred by her renters.

I didn't, and still don't, see how Buddy Dive's approach to rental insurance is significantly different than Telerin's. Either you take personal financial responsibility for the rental truck or you pay for 3rd-party insurance. All you have to do is pick one, sign your name to it, provide payment info, and go diving. I don't see where the shakedown is happening.

Thanks for the civil discussion. I'm not trying to argue. I'm just seeing different info and having different experiences than what you're reporting.

Not trying to pick nits but my info and previous experience with both Buddy Dive and Telerin is quite different than what you've been describing. That's why I asked my previous question.

Unless something has changed recently CDW coverage isn't mandatory at Buddy Dive. Last I knew there were three options:
Option 1: No CDW coverage and you're 100% responsible for theft or damage to the truck.
Option 2: CDW coverage with $350 deductible for collision or theft.
Option 3: "Full Insurance" with $100 deductible for collision and $0 deductible for theft.
On the rental contract you have to pick an option, sign for it, and provide a credit card number to cover your choice.
Supporting documentation for the above is available on the web in their Know Before You Go publication, and in their rental contract.

Telerin is also very clear about renter liability and insurance options on their rental contract. (I've rented from Telerin many times and I'm looking at my contract from last month as I type this. I've also had previous discussions with Poppy about it.)
- The renter is responsible for all loss and/or damage to the rented vehicle.
- That liability can be reduced to a $500 deductible by purchasing the CDW policy.
- The CDW policy covers collision and damage, but not theft, vandalism, or damage due to driving off-road.
- Any cost accrued by the renter according to the above will be charged to the same renter's credit card that secured the reservation.
- Poppy doesn't care if renters use the Amex Premium Rental Protection because she doesn't collect damages from Amex. She collects them from renters (as explained above) and the renters have to submit a claim for reimbursement from Amex later. I.e It's not her problem to settle claims incurred by her renters.

I didn't, and still don't, see how Buddy Dive's approach to rental insurance is significantly different than Telerin's. Either you take personal financial responsibility for the rental truck or you pay for 3rd-party insurance. All you have to do is pick one, sign your name to it, provide payment info, and go diving. I don't see where the shakedown is happening.

Thanks for the civil discussion. I'm not trying to argue. I'm just seeing different info and having different experiences than what you're reporting.
I think there are two differences. Buddy Dive is $19 a day for a $565 deductible, Telerin is $13 for a $500 deductible. Now damages associated with off road diving are highly subjective considering the condition of many of the "roads" in the park or north of BOPEC. My contention is that with Telerin it is dealt with and paid prior to my arrival on island. With Buddy, I have to make my selection and then pay when I settle up at the end of the week. Granted, this is a minor, minor issue but it is one they could easily make go away by just building it into the dive and drive package. It is just that I have been up since 2am and am exhausted, I want to go jump off of the pier and get a nice saltwater bath and then enjoy a few Brights at Blennies. I don't want to think about car insurance! The less afterthought nick and dime costs I have to budget for the better. One of the reasons that I love Bonaire is that since I don't do much boat diving is that my tipping is focused on the drive through folks, the kitchen and house keeping. On every other front I love Buddy. The drive through is the industry standard. Buddy's reef is awesome. When the lockers are complete the shore diving will be even easier. (they were all full when we were there but it wasn't a big deal)

Have I mentioned that I can't wait to go back?!

I guess I just prefer the way AB operates. Full coverage includes extra drivers and no "walk-around" before or after. Maybe this costs us a bit more in the long run but to me it's worth it. But others will see it differently, so to each his own.

Reactions: mbs
I guess I just prefer the way AB operates. Full coverage includes extra drivers and no "walk-around" before or after. Maybe this costs us a bit more in the long run but to me it's worth it. But others will see it differently, so to each his own.

That is another thing I forgot. I think it was $5 a day per extra driver at Buddy. Another annoyance. I just drove all week and annoyed my buddy with my standard transmission skillz.

My biggest beef with rentals in Bonaire is that coverage, even the higher levels of coverage, does not include theft and vandalism, the most likely event. This is the coverage that should be standard for all rentals in Bonaire.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom