Bonaire solo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leslief

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I would like to dive bonaire but i need cheap accomadations and i want to get away from diving with dive masters, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Bonaire is certainly the place for it. We shoredove most of the week by ourselves. If you boat dive, expect a DM in the water with you but ours (Toucan Diving) didn't have a problem with us going off by ourselves. The only time you can expect to have to stay with a DM is doing the Pier dives as they're responsible for you there.

The farther you stay off the water, the cheaper the accommodations. The tradeoff is that you'll then have to rent a car to drive to all the shoredives with your gear. Are you a solo diver? or looking to buddy up? We were asked several times at various locations if we wanted to buddy up so it shouldn't be too difficult to find someone. Most people fly in Sat/Sat so you see the same people all week.

Golden Reef Inn is an option for less expensive accommodations off the water. Bruce Bowker's Carib Inn is a smaller place on the water that's more reasonable. The Wannadive folks have some small apt's. at one of their facilities also. And there's others, Info Bonaire - The Bonaire Information Site - The Most Current and Up-To-Date Information has the complete list. If you're going this summer, Caribbean Club has a $60 1BR deal. But you'd definitely want a vehicle from there. Just about everybody offers a dive/drive pkg. also.

I would like to dive bonaire but i need cheap accomadations and i want to get away from diving with dive masters, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure when you are going to be in Bonaire - I have a condo in Bonaire for 1/24-1/31 and I am looking for a buddy and roomie. This is not a group trip - I landed the condo and decided to rent it for the week on my own.

I'm looking for $325 for the condo, 1/2 of any shared groceries for the week, and 1/2 for a car rental for a day to check out other dive spots.

Condo is on the water and within walking distance to shops, restaurants, and groceries.

Residents of the condo receive a 20% discount on shore and boat dives.

Let me know if you are interested and I'll be happy to share more details.

We were asked several times at various locations if we wanted to buddy up so it shouldn't be too difficult to find someone. Most people fly in Sat/Sat so you see the same people all week.

Hey Steve,

I am traveling to Bonaire by myself this January. Do you know of any "Welcome" center that allows solo divers to post they are looking for other divers or some conceirge diving service? Not sure if I have the fortitude to walk up to strangers and ask to invite myself along with them.

Thanks!

I think Buddy Dive has one (no pun - really..) Toucan at the Plaza may've had a board also, there was something next to the boat signup board that I vaguely recall had names on it. Never really looked as I brought my own buddy.

Most DM's freelance also. Some will also mention it if you're on a boat with them. It's not concierge as you generally meet them somewhere with all your own gear. But it's also only like $20/dive.

I'd post on Bonairetalk in the diving forum also. Here's a lead to two people who will be looking for buddies while you're there: Bonaire Talk: Looking for an occasional buddy in January

Seriously though, it just about has to be the easiest place to find a buddy. Most people at the restaurants, bars, pools etc. are divers. My experience was that I was invited twice to go diving with some folks at our condo rinsetank, once on Den Lamans dock, twice or three times at Habitat while waiting for my buddy to retrieve his fins and we had an open invite to do the east side from three guys we met while waiting for our flight to Bonaire in San Juan.

Just about everybody is either a diver or staying with one. There's not a lot else to do there - except for windsurfing - so a lot of people go to Aruba or Curacao if they're looking for topside activities.

Awesome information, thanks Steve!

We had almost every dive a "guest" with us, it was great as we got a chance to meet fellow divers from other parts of the country. I can't believe we are home now as we landed to snow and 20 degrees at the seattle airport on saturday.

Now to nurse my bug bites....

Dive from shore. You don't need to dive from a boat on Bonaire. No DM to pester you.

You still need a buddy don't you? As a new diver, and having never dove those waters before, I don't think it would be a good idea to just walk into the surf by myself.

No surf to speak of really. And if you are new then perhaps a buddy is called for. I had no problem with that. Went down with 18 other people! It was nice to get away by myself the few times I did. Of course we stayed at Divi so the dock and tanks were right there as was the reef. Throw the gear on, jump in, go left or right, come back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom