Bonaire trip report May 8- 15

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GeneV

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
This was my first trip to Bonaire, stayed at Buddy Dive and dove with the Dive Bus from Curacao

The travel from Canada is probably the worst part of the trip, 22 hrs to get there and 18 hrs to get back.

At Buddy Dive stayed in a 1 bedroom, which was very nice, but not spending too much time in the room was little over kill, a studio would a done nicely, however the patio was handy for happy hour. Breakfast was great which was the only meal we really ate there.

I like the set up at Buddy's, the drive through tank pickup, the use of the truck and the house reef.

We did 16 dives over 6 days. Both on the south and north sides. Some of the site were Alice in Wonderland, Karpata, Angel City, Buddy Reef, and list goes on.
Vis on most dives was good, somewhere around 80FT. Marine life plentiful. Saw my first lionfish. Kept hearing about rays but never saw a single one. Kept looking for frogfish, but no such luck.

Suzy and Mark, from the Dive Bus, organized the trip and as always did a bang up job. If you're ever in Curacao make sure to look them up. (had to put a plug in)

All in all we had a great time and I'll definatly return to Bonaire, already planning for next May.

Gene:

Glad you had a good time. We've been to Bonaire 3 times; didn't see rays till my buddy found 2 spotted eagle rays our last trip. Both were over sandy areas, which is different from some things, since we're used to scrutinizing reef but just kind of 'swimming over' sand.

Richard.

Last year we say Spotted Eagle Rays pretty regularly at the far southern sites like Margate Bay. We also had a really cool close encounter with two hunting right on Bari reef. We spent a good 20 minutes with them while other divers swam right by.....which was kinda weird we thought.

Suzy and Mark, from the Dive Bus, organized the trip and as always did a bang up job. If you're ever in Curacao make sure to look them up. (had to put a plug in)

All in all we had a great time and I'll definatly return to Bonaire, already planning for next May.

Hey Gene!

Yes, was an excellent trip and agree with everything you posted above. Give my best to Danielle...see you in October!

:wink:

I didn't know lionfish were beginning their infestation on the Bonaire reef.

Are they being exterminated?

Lionfish have been spotted off Klein, looks like there getting everywhere now. probably too late to stop 'em. Same advise - tell the dive master and eventually (never) an official will take care of the problem. Too bad they are so harmful, pretty fish otherwise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom