Bonaire, What did you wish you knew before you went?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Richard's is closed, as is Cactus Blue. The owner of Cactus Blue is looking into the Richard's location. The best of both worlds in my opinion....

When did this happen?!?! We were just there and ate at Cactus Blue.

When did this happen?!?! We were just there and ate at Cactus Blue.

I just saw a letter posted online announcing the closing of Cactus Blue, by the owner saying they had reached a point they needed to focus on enjoying life for a while, and suggesting they will be back after they have regained a new perspective.

Too bad they closed, as we love to eat there, but one needs to follow ones heart. If your heart pulls you elsewhere, and it is no longer in the business, choosing life and your heart over the business will make you a lot happier, than slugging it out, depressed.

I just saw a letter posted online announcing the closing of Cactus Blue, by the owner saying they had reached a point they needed to focus on enjoying life for a while, and suggesting they will be back after they have regained a new perspective.

Too bad they closed, as we love to eat there, but one needs to follow ones heart. If your heart pulls you elsewhere, and it is no longer in the business, choosing life and your heart over the business will make you a lot happier, than slugging it out, depressed.

Oh, I totally agree with that...I'm just sad it closed!!

What about Richard's? We didn't have the best service when we were there last but we were sitting under the tiki hut on the pier.

I wish I knew that touching a tarpon does not constitute "contact with wildlife" for the purposes of US Customs inspection. It would have saved me 15 minutes upon return from my first trip. I had to explain to a CBP officer what a tarpon is. Once he realized we were talking about a fish that I had touched underwater during a night dive, he rolled his eyes and pointed me to the exit door.

Can you post a link to this? Nothing is mentioned on their website.

Thanks,

Can you post a link to this? Nothing is mentioned on their website.

Thanks,

On their Facebook page which is linked on the first page of their website.

Cactus Blue bar & restaurant | Facebook

Cactus Blue bar & restaurant's Notes

Saturday, May 5, 2012

• Dear Friends and Family,
    some of you already know and others will find out. Without making this all sound too dramatic, I have closed Cactus Blue for a temporary period of time to allow myself to persue a dream and a passion. It might be a very selfish thing to do as you would love me to open my doors and cook my heart out for you. I wish that that were possible at this time but with the deepest regret I simply cannot.
    Since my life changed 3 years ago I tried to hold the business together with what unskilled personal I could find on the island as skilled personal does not appear to be in a huge supply. My son Sebastian helped ove the years but it is time for him to take his final exams and leave this beautiful island of Bonaire to study further in Holland this coming July. I will miss him with all my heart. Florian my middle son has the talent to become many things but would love to enjoy life a little more and be chilled and for that I love him dearly. My youngest son, yes it is true, I have 3 boys, Christian who is 14 years old, loves to do what all 14 year olds love to do, but I am now spending more time with him in the evenings and he is enjoying my company, even if he doesn't show it all the time.
    So there we have it. My time will be spent focusing on racing my kite and diving for the Lion Fish. Time with my sons and time for myself.
    Thank you for all your support over the years and for the support you give me now and in the future.
    kindest thanks to you all
    Hagen
    Sebastian, Florian and Christian

I have to disagree with the negative National Park comments..we never dive but enjoy the secluded spots for snorkeling and a picnic, the scenery is awesome as is the wildlife! We go on our offgas day everytime!

Sorry to hear about Richards and CB..but Richards quality and service was in serious decline on the last visit? Great location but his heart just did not seem to be in it anymore.

I have to disagree with the negative National Park comments..we never dive but enjoy the secluded spots for snorkeling and a picnic, the scenery is awesome as is the wildlife! We go on our offgas day everytime!

Sorry to hear about Richards and CB..but Richards quality and service was in serious decline on the last visit? Great location but his heart just did not seem to be in it anymore.

the best sites to dive are in the national park.
probably because very few dive there.

I am planning a trip to Bonaire in Aug. when Deloach is there around Aug 18..Buddys' has room but there may be a cheaper and better place to book a package deal. any suggestions??

Don't plan on going out to dinner and then out for a night dive. I may be biased because I work in the food and beverage industry, but I felt service almost every meal was not only extremely slow ( two hours, for salads and then burgers at city cafe), but also lacking in attention. Water was never refilled, more drinks had to be sought out, dirty plates were never cleared. This was the theme for the entire island in my recent experience.

It usually did not bother us, we are fairly quick eaters but tried to be open minded and slow down to island time to enjoy lunches and dinner on island time, but it was often so bad it ruined our other plans.

Sent from my IPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom