Bonaire, What did you wish you knew before you went?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i thought the dive sites in the park were the best sites in bonaire.

i thought the dive sites in the park were the best sites in bonaire.

See, it's all about preference/experience! :) But that's why we did a few since I generally don't like to listen to advice...but for me they were right. But we are all going to have things that we enjoy and others don't.

So I say do what you (whoever "you" are) FEEL like doing. I'm glad we did the park...I just won't do it again. (Oh, and the restaurant wasn't open the entire time we were there (2nd week of February this year) so not sure what the deal is there.)

Another example, I heard great things about "It's Raining Fishes" but the service was worse than "normal" on Bonaire and the food was super expensive.

Oh, if you are looking for a romantic dinner but have time (you truly need time) reserve the hut at Richard's. You sit out on the pier under the tiki hut by yourself and watch the boats and enjoy a nice romantic dinner. But the service is slow....but they tell you that.

me and my bud did all the official sites in the north and a couple of other sites not on the map.

at the end of the day we just went for some relaxing recreational holiday diving -good food is nice but not a priority for a dive holiday.

we managed quite easily to do 38 dives in 2 weeks and not miss a single happy hour.

one the last day we were lucky enough to be engulfed within a bait ball so all in all a good time was had.

what i noticed most was that the american divers would prefer diving in a group on a boat while every-one else was shore diving independantly.

This is a great thread! Here's my take after 10 visits to Bonaire over 15 years.

For perspective, we've visited Bonaire during winter, spring, and summer. (Winter is our favorite and is now an annual event.) Over the years we've also experienced 5 airlines, 6 properties, 4 truck rental companies, 5 dive operations, and 6 grocery markets. I don't know how many restaurants, but our current budgeting strategy is fewer is better. Eating out once or maybe twice a week is our norm.

Here's my advice for the Bonaire newbie:

1) The price of airfare is the same if you stay on Bonaire for a week, 10 days... or three weeks. Longer is better.

2) If your gear, clothing and personal items consumer more than one 50 lb. suitcase and two carry-ons... you might be doing it wrong.

3) The resorts aren't necessarily the most affordable or enjoyable places to stay. (But they certainly are fun and easy.)

4) You don't have to hire a boat and/or dive guide to find great diving. Shore diving is easy and excellent.

5) Rent a truck from Poppy at Telerin. You'll get a great vehicle, great service, and will be first out of the airport upon arrival. Reserve early.

6) For couples: Stay oceanfront with Tim & Leanne at Beachcomber Villas, dive or snorkel The Cliff out the back gate, and enjoy sunset cocktails with your hosts.

7) Go to bed early on January 30th... because you're going to be up late on New Years Eve. Bonaireans are serious about their fireworks!

8) On Bonaire, DEET is your friend. Mosquitoes and dengue fever are not. There are a lot more statistics about dengue than DEET-related health problems. Sometimes you've got to pick your poison.

9) If you're not getting 60 minutes or more out of an aluminum 80 tank on Bonaire, you might be doing it wrong. Relax, take your time, and enjoy the scenery.

10) Bonaire Gift Shop has a fantastic selection of wines and liquors.

11) Zung Khong grocery store in Hato (near the northern hotels) has the most affordable selection of liquor and beer.

12) Dinner at most Bonaire restaurants is nice, but sometimes expensive. BBQing your own steak, while sipping on a cold Polar and enjoying the ocean view, is priceless.

13) For dive gear purchase or repair on-island, start with Bruce Bowker at Carib Inn. If not, you'll likely end there.

14) Use your turn signals when exiting a traffic circle, not when entering it. (Trust me, we know which way you're going to turn when you enter.)

15) Always make reservations for your next Bonaire trip before you leave the island.

That's my $0.15

P.S. Several previous posts in this thread reflected fondly on Cactus Blue restaurant. Unfortunately Hagen has recently closed his restaurant. There's more info here on the Cactus Blue Facebook page, if interested.

Good post.

1) The price of airfare is the same if you stay on Bonaire for a week, 10 days... or three weeks. Longer is better.
I have done a week, two weeks, and 10 days. Ten days is the sweet spot for me, after which the diving starts to feel a little bit redundant. Not that I'd mind three weeks, but vacation time is always scarcer than I'd like.

7) Go to bed early on January 30th... because you're going to be up late on New Years Eve. Bonaireans are serious about their fireworks!
So, the extra rest on January 30th comes in handy 11 months later, on New Year's Eve? Or is there something like a Chinese New Year going on down there?

Good post.

I have done a week, two weeks, and 10 days. Ten days is the sweet spot for me, after which the diving starts to feel a little bit redundant.

Get out of my house.

We had a great week at Divi and this thread helped us out a lot. We came to dive and dive we did. 26 dives in 6 days. Stayed pretty much to the south of the island. Our 1 trip to the north brought us to "oil slick" and while we did 2 dives there, we were less than impressed with marine life there. Had much better luck on the south side, much to the dive shop's surprise. The fun thing about "oil slick" is the entry and we took full advantage of it! Two middle age guys jumping in over and over again like little kids. And we were NOT the only ones.
The other thing I wish I would have known about is to watch out for the draining of the "salt flats" just south of salt pier. swam right into this underwater "brine river" that was booking down the reef! Vis went from 40 to 3 in just a couple of feet. Sea fans were bent over by it and fish had a hard time swimming up the current. Quite the thing to witness and be part of

Oil slick used to be very spectacular until the top of the shelf there got wiped out pretty badly by Omar (I believe the tropical storm the did the damage was called Omar)

Coming slowly back. The giant stride there is fun, isn't it?!

I wish I knew that I would have left part of my heart there. Love he diving, the people and hope to retire there too. Going back twice a year is just not enough.

I wish I knew that I would have left part of my heart there. Love he diving, the people and hope to retire there too. Going back twice a year is just not enough.

+1 Have to agree on all counts!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom