Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2dive:
Thanks for the info...I have looked into Capt. Dons and he is doing his best to work with us. As a cancer survivor, I think that we have touched his heart a bit. I have to be very cautious. I am glad that you brought his name up. Thanks....Ann
I've stayed at Capt. Don's and it's definitely easy (and very good) diving.

FWIW - one of the friends I went there with is also a cancer survivor. We're planning to return next year to Capt. Don's to celebrate her birthday ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks for the info...It has always been a dream to take one of those really deep dives, but I will have to be happy just scootinbg around the reef. You didn't mention the sea horses, but you did frogfish. I have heard they they hang together. I really want to see a sea horse.

Thanks for the info...Ann

2dive:
Thanks for the info...It has always been a dream to take one of those really deep dives, but I will have to be happy just scootinbg around the reef. You didn't mention the sea horses, but you did frogfish. I have heard they they hang together. I really want to see a sea horse.

Thanks for the info...Ann

In front of plaza there is some elkhorn coral and the dive shop said there is a pair always there. Another place was in front of the yellow submarine dive shop in about 30 feet of water in a stand of elkhorn coral. The dive shop can send you in the right direction if you go in and ask.

2dive:
Thanks for the info...It has always been a dream to take one of those really deep dives, but I will have to be happy just scooting around the reef.
On Bonaire we saw many more interesting things in 20-30' of water than deeper. Turtles sleeping under rocks in 10' at Jerry's Reef off Klein - which btw is a shallow or deep dive - depending on if you swim towards or away from the island. Feather Dusters opening/closing in the current - at Cliff off Capt. Don's. Swim towards the memorial and they're on this little plateau just after it in about 25'.

I filmed a family of Squid in less than 20' of water at Bari Reef. And from what I've read recently they're still there. Also the first two piers at Salt Pier are less than 30', even the third one is 49' at the bottom. The most interesting stuff was on/around the 2nd one. We spent 20 min. of the dive filming in 15-20' of water there. There's some huge friendly French Angelfish and other interesting things nearby.

Never saw any seahorses, but they'll be shallow if you find them. I've read there's one or two that live near the mooring block at Buddy's also.

I could have a good dive poking around in the coral rubble 10' off shore in some places. There's a fascinating amount of tiny fish and other creatures that live there. At some sites I was back to shore before I realized because I followed something interesting right up to the beach.

Ann,
As of May the seahorses that scubaaaronh mentioned were still on the elkhorn just off the yellow submarine dive shop. Easy, easy entry - bonus! Did this site at dusk and went back to our hotel to get a couple of our friends and took them there for a night dive. And what a most memorable night dive that was: found the seahorses again, tarpon were "using" our lights to feed (first time one of those guys swims by you you may have to clean your wetsuit!), huge crabs and more eels than I've ever seen before. One would be free swimming and then you'd turn your head and there would be three eels all huddled together under a ledge. It was marvelous.
Best of luck in your quest to find the shy but oh so cool seahorses!

2dive,

Deeper diving is not always better, especially on Bonaire! There are a couple of seahorse (1 black, 1 red) at Something Special, along with a flying gunnart or 2. Frog fish in front of Eden Beach Resort. The seahorse are in about 17 ft. of water! The majority of the reefs are magnificent at 20-30 feet! You will love it!

Liz

We are planning another trip to Bonaire :D Good advice above.

Two restaurants we like are: Lions Den- next to Buddy Dive, and Capriccio-sp ? Italian food

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom