Suggestions for our 1st Visit to Bonaire May 27-June 3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trucks were in their normal locations at the end of April.

Food trucks were still there last week. Lots of customers queued up so they are not going anywhere soon.
What activities are going on at the beaches with active SCTLD? Is there swimming, snorkeling, anyone diving?

Thanks

All of the above... We chose to dive green only, except for one boat dive that was yellow.
Southern site recommendations... Pink Beach for easiest access. Vista Blue way south. Salt Pier.
In the north and by boat only... Rappel (now called Bruce Bowkers Rappel!!) Keepsake on Klein just because we saw everything imaginable :wink: Squid, octopus, loggerhead, Ray all on same dive!!!
We did 2 dives with East Coast Diving for the first time. It was awesome! Worth the price!

I was under the impression that diving was closed in the actively infected sites. The STINAPA website is somewhat inconsistent;
  • Decontaminate your gear before and after each dive day.
  • Limit your dives to one area per day, meaning each day only dive the North, Town, South, or Klein Bonaire.
  • Avoid diving in the infected areas. If you must dive in an infected area, use the stoplight system meaning from green to red and never the other way around.
Diving is allowed throughout the Marine Park with the exception of two Marine Reserves (Queen Maxima and King Willem-Alexander Reserves) and dive sites closed due to SCTLD.

Hi,
Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions! My wife and I just got home yesterday and had a fantastic time.
Stayed at Bamboo Bonaire Boutique Hotel which was awesome, and beautifully landscaped. Really lush, fountains everywhere and real quiet. Our room had a walled in patio and I'm happy to say we took all showers outside. We also were able to get a reservation at Chefs which is onsite. It was a great meal along with the wine pairings. It is $$$$ though, Happy Anniversary Honey!
The hotel works with VIP Divers which had tanks, a pressure gauge and an analyzer available as well. Real easy or you could stop by one of their locations for fills.

We started out South as my wife's knees were not excited about stairs. Throughout the week we did 5 days of shore dives, and one day we did a boat dive with Dive Friends. They were great as well. Nice boat and set up, DM's were some of the best I have encountered. Leeka and another girl whose name I cannot remember. The 2 dives at Klien were great as well.
Nearly every site we visited were fairly easy entry and exit. Some of our favorites were Pink Beach, Aquarius, Invisibles, Alice in Wonderland, Angel City and in the North, Andrea 1 & 2. Closer to Downtown we did Something Special which was also a favorite. Maybe because we saw 2 Juvenile Spotted Eagle Rays in about 10 feet of water to finish up the dive. We were very happy about all the wildlife underwater.

We honestly were happy with every dive and also the freedom of shore diving. No clock to go by. Room had a full kitchen so we stocked up at the Grocery store which was easy as well.

Many great meals as well, Chef's was out of this world. Also went to the Stoked Food Truck, Capricio was nice for Italian and the pizza at Paso Bon was fairly good. Osaka had some real decent sushi, Between 2 Buns for Breakfast. I am missing a few. The Bonaire Brewery had a really great selection of brews and good food as well.

Overall perfect week and we will definitely go back. Not as expensive as we were thinking it would be and the people were awesome.

The SCTLD Coral disease is mostly closer to downtown. We were given a map of the infected sites and were told to do them on the last dive of the day, Then immediately rinse in an approved rinse. Was not a big deal at all. Since we only did a couple in those areas, didn't really notice to much damage.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!!

Bamboo Bali has a fantastic restaurant, if you can get in, and if they are open > Chefs. Pre fixe, innovative, attentive, awesome.
+1 on CHEFS. One of the best meals I've ever had. The meal is made right in front of you, you get to interact with the chefs, other diners. It was awesome.

"Don't miss" sites are, of course, Salt Pier and many others. We loved The Lake on the south end. It's all good.

Would you elaborate on what you did after the red sites, and if that was the last diving done? Did you actually let the gear soak for the recommended time? And then let it dry? Please don’t give people the impression a quick rinsing stuff off is at all what is asked of STINAPA:
  • Non-sensitive gear – soak 5 mins in 10% bleach solution, rinse 10 mins in freshwater.
  • Sensitive gear – soak 5 mins in 7% lysol solution, rinse 10 mins in freshwater.
  • Dry – hang gear, plan dives, avoid contaminated zones (guess not)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom