Bone To Pick with PADI Dry Suit Cert.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the possibility of a check would occur if you wanted to rent a dry suit. I know our shop would want to have some indication that you knew what you were doing if you came in for a rental. (I don't work there, so I am not sure what they would do.)

I absolutely would expect to be checked for a rental...it's happened every time I've tried (and since I have no drysuit cert, I fail every time, even at the shop where I BOUGHT my drysuit...figures).

But to have your own drysuit and be carded for it like you might for a tank fill? I've never heard of that happening before (and thank god).

I absolutely would expect to be checked for a rental...it's happened every time I've tried (and since I have no drysuit cert, I fail every time, even at the shop where I BOUGHT my drysuit...figures).

Are you serious?? Why would they ask at the place you bought your own one from? That's just crazy... Did they give a reason for this?

I don't know of many shops that rent out drysuits locally... but when I was overseas recently in NZ I went diving and was asked if I wanted to rent a drysuit and they never asked for a drysuit card. They didn't ask for a cert card either, just asked how many dives I've done and if I've dived in a drysuit. And despite a number of adventure activites I did there including diving, I never had to sign one disclaimer. Quite refreshing really.

Are you serious?? Why would they ask at the place you bought your own one from? That's just crazy... Did they give a reason for this?

Liability, of course. Now, I should have asked them why they had no liability for selling me the suit in the first place.

And despite a number of adventure activites I did there including diving, I never had to sign one disclaimer. Quite refreshing really.

Well, you don't need to be reminded how we love our right to sue over here...

Liability, of course. Now, I should have asked them why they had no liability for selling me the suit in the first place.

Well that's what I figured. When I was new to diving, lots of shops wouldn't do various things for me because of liability. But these days I never get asked regardless of my requests... I am sure their liability requirements have not changed but they use their discretion to decide on what to rent/fill/etc once they know someone. For example, I have had tanks filled >EAN40 for friends and so on, and shops never require me to show a card for this. Or if I want to borrow twins, and so on, things I don't have 'cards' for. Or once I hired out a charter boat and and someone vouched for me to the charter operator so he didn't check any of our cards and left it up to me to work out who was qualified for it and so on.

I guess none of that is by the book and I presumed most shops would be flexible once they knew someone, but I guess that just might be where I dive.

I guess none of that is by the book and I presumed most shops would be flexible once they knew someone, but I guess that just might be where I dive.

That is mostly the case. I don't think I've ever had to show my c-card after the first couple of visits at the shop I frequent most often. Purchases, fills, etc...it'd be kind of silly to card someone who stops in every week.

Different shops have different policies and different requirements for adherence to those policies. Also, if it's something that requires a written form (particularly rentals, pool use, charters, etc.), you're much more likely to get carded.

The drysuit thing still bothers me though. You don't care if I buy one from you, use it in your pool or dive it on your boat, but if I try to rent one from you...bam.

Dry suit specialty? Nope...I learned from a few guys that have them, and I don't intend on spending my hard earned cash to get a c-card for something I've been diving in all summer! The first ten dives were a bit clumsy, the next ten were better and the remaining are all starting to feel like it's second nature.

I heard mostly to use the suit for buoyancy, and haven't had any trouble with that. (well except for the first day) I figure once I get that technique down pat, I'll attempt using both the wing and the suit.

The reasoning behind it is that they feel that it is too much task loading for some divers. Especially new ones to control two buoyancy sources. And I have to say I agree. If you are not taught proper buoyancy control in Ow class and tested on task loading exercises then it may be. Of course if that is the case you have no business in OW anyway. Using two sources of possible control is NOT too much task loading for the diver of average intelligence who has been properly taught in the first place. Problem is many students never hear of real buoyancy control and trim until much later. They get screwed in this area. Hence the fighting for control, swimming vertically, and not knowing how to properly weight themselves in the first place. All things that should be covered in OW class. When discussing drysuits in OW class I tell them how most divers use the bc for buoyancy and suit for squeeze or a combination at depth. As said before if properly weighted the amt of gas for buoyancy is about what is needed to control squeeze. It is truly insulting to student's intelligence when they are taught by the book and nothing else and they find out the hard way. But that's what you get when you dumb down courses and shorten training times.

So can you come up to Dutch This weekend and show me this :wink:

Come down to Mt Storm the day after Thanksgiving and I'll let you take the whole course! Provided you already have a couple or three documented dives in the suit.

Come down to Mt Storm the day after Thanksgiving and I'll let you take the whole course! Provided you already have a couple or three documented dives in the suit.

Nice! Take Jim up on the offer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom