Bouyancy control while ascending - What are the best practices?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like the PADI world. I perfer the horizontal trim position with my computer / depth gauge mounted on my right wrist and my hands free in the event that I need them. I also like making nuckle on nuckle contact with my buddy while maintaining eye contact and same depth. I only go verticle after the safety stop and only when I'm concerned about boat traffic.

+1. It puts all the air right under your rear dump and from there, going head down and a couple of kicks can stop you completely or move you back down if you need to. You might have to come a little head up to vent your dry suit if you're wearing one though.

During my deep course, on an 80 ft dive, we settled on the bottom and removed all air from our BCDs. We were then to kick upwards and see how far we got.

Not so far. Mind, we were wearing 7+7, and I personally was wearing 24 lbs. Still - I would not dump all air.

Acutally, I would dump all air. In my experience, it's much easier to control your ascent without air in the bc. obviously ymmv

Acutally, I would dump all air. In my experience, it's much easier to control your ascent without air in the bc. obviously ymmv

And, as I said earlier, if you learn to do it that way and then try it while wearing a 7mm suit, you may find out how easy or difficult it is to control that resulting rapid descent.

is ymmv american for i am talking out of my poop hole

Boulderjohn, I take your point. However, we are not really disagreeing. The OP referenced a problem with positive buoyancy at the end of the ascent. I was (and am) suggesting a remediation for that situation. If I was unclear, this addition should clarify. No one can argue that with the objective of maintaining neutral buoyancy throughout the ascent. BTW my diving is about 50/50, clod water (down to 50F) and delightfully warm water.
DivemasterDennis

The OP is learning to dive in a cold water quarry wearing lots of neoprene. This is something that takes practice, preplanning and proper weighting. Once it gets away from you, you are a cork. I dive the same quarry and initially had the same issues with many more dives than he has to date.

I recommend he practice his ascents alongside one of the platform lines. He will be able to check a runaway ascent, adjust his buoyancy and continue the ascent. Remember you want ideally to stay neutral and rise on slight fin actions. If you stop finning and continue to rise or sink, you are not neutral.

Keep practicing. BTW you will be amazed how easy it is in warm water with a thin suit.

No one can argue that with the objective of maintaining neutral buoyancy throughout the ascent.
I don't think I was arguing with you at all, and perhaps you missed this one and another like it:

You would not likely have made it off of the bottom. Not at 80 feet.

is ymmv american for i am talking out of my poop hole

Your Mileage May Vary

---------- Post added ----------

Haven't had an issue yet, I'll double check the next time I'm at 80'. Worth knowing

I agree with staying horizontal and using the rear dump exclusively. In a horizontal position your body presents more surface area to resist upward motion which will slow you down. Also by staying horizontal you are keeping the bubble in you bc realatively constant. I can feel my bc getting buoyant and dump air accordingly. Some people say they can feel the bubble in their drysuit, but i find that less intuitive.

Dumping your air and swimming up is too much work and uncontrolled.

Back
Top Bottom