boyancy wet suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rabbitears

Reaction score
i bought a 7mm 2 piece wet suit that was used but in very good shape..i am 5 foot 3 and weigh 115 lbs..i find that with all my gear on i need over 20lbs of weight just to get below the surface,..im just wondering if i should have bought a 7mm one piece..its very frustrating for me..i am practicing in the pool before i go to florida for my checkout dives and i know il be using a 3mm there but still when i come back il be using the 7mm for lake erie..any advice out there as to what i can do to get down without using a lot of weight?..the boards other rabbit..

Actually, for the body shape and wetsuit that you described, 20# sounds about right when diving with an AL80.

And remember, when you dive in the ocean (aka salt water) you will need about 30% more weight on the same setup than in freshwater.

One way to help with the weights is to move some but not necessarilly all) of it off of your hips to a SS (Stainless Steel) backplate and a steel tank. This way more of the weight is more comfortably distributed on your shoulders and waist than just your waist. This requires use of a backplate/wings BC system, but as you will read in this board, this system is highly advocated for all levels of divers.

Rabbitears: not a heck of a lot you can do. I'm in a 7mm shorty and john year round - I have to wear 32lbs of weight! That sucks! Mike suggetions will help. Are ankle weights an option for you? I know its only a couple lbs, but sure can feel like a lot more.
Neoprene is neoprene, and unfortunately, we need them thick up here!

When will you be in Florida? I'll be down in the 2nd week of March, hoping Stone is going to join us!:cool:

TexasMike said it right, you can go for the back plate and steel tank setup and you can also go to a 7mm one piece. This will let you take quite a bit of your weight off. However like said earlier ..20# isn’t bad .

Dive Safe …………Arduous

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom