BP/W, Back Inflate or Side Inflate??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess the troll dinner bell just rang...

Don´t feel bad for bringing up a topic that´s gonna tick people off, just don´t do it again. The BC issue is really never going to end. People have different tastes, and there is no use arguing about it, or responding with the same rudeness. We are more than willing to help people out, but there should be no rude comments like "most divers help eachother out"

Well, maybe it's the fact that this topic has been beaten to a pulp at least a million times. If you suspected that, why didn't you just search? No worries, plenty of people won't be able to resist.

I thought that same thing. I searched several strings and did not find a difinitive string that discussed it. If you know of one send it through.

As for some who take the tact of "this is the superior product and those who don't use it are fools", I just don't have any tolerance for that.

My OW instructor was a US Navy diver (not SEAL). He dives a Balance and dumped his BP/W. My AOW instructor dives s Scubapro back inflate after trying the BP/W - he has mounds of dives also. Another 1,000+ diver I know prefers the BP/W but also loves the Seaquest Black Diamond. Point being; there are ± to all styles and for nimrod to say "we superior pros ONLY dive with these:rofl3:" is sort of hick-like.

He is right. Why bring up a topic that you know is going to get the same response as before!

I'll tell you why; because yesterday, other new divers became certified. People told them "check scubaboard, they'll answer your questions". Then, they asked a question (oh, God forbid) that was asked before!! The nerve of these newbie, losers:lotsalove:

And....the response they got was....:confused:

Here I thought this would set off a fury. Similar to the endless pages of "split fin vs. paddle fin" thread.

Perhaps it didn't "set off a fury" beacause the topic has been beat to death.

I thought that same thing. I searched several strings and did not find a difinitive string that discussed it.

Are you kidding?

Now THAT'S an informative answer. Thank you, herman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by herman
I usually stay out of BP/ BC debates but for some reason I feel like typing. A good search will turn up a great deal of info but mostly it's BP users spouting the same logic. Most of what they say is true however there is a "yes but" that few ever attach so let me do so. Oh and yes I tried a BP and did not care for it, went back to my old BC.

Modular, this allows selecting a plate and wing appropriate to the application, and allows making changes when and if your application changes. Single tanks? Yes Doubles? yes again. Doubles and stages? sure no problem.

True but what you will find if you talk with BP users, they often own mulitple BP/wings set up for the vaious configs rather than changing between configs. The defeats the "buy only one' comment often made. At the price of wings, you can easily buy an inexpensive travel BC and a BP for doubles.

Allows easy replacement of any of the components.

Again, true but just how often do you actally replace a worn out BC? In addition there are BCs that allow you to change out components. Zeagle for one.

Moves 5-6 lbs up off your weight belt and onto your back. This often helps the diver get horizontally trimmed.

Or 3 lbs with an AL BP, many (most ?) BCs have trim pockets that allow the same thing....and your not stuck with one amount. Diving warm wet a SS BP will over weight me..actually an AL will also.

The back plate provides a stable platform / interface between the diver and cylinder.

This one I will agree with but for single tanks it not really that much of a big deal.

The harness is essentially infinitely adjustable.

So what? Most modern BCs have a fairly wide adjustment range. Unless I am loaning it to both kids and football players, why does it need to be "infinitely adjustable"? It's my BC, I dive it and rarely loan it out. When I do, I can adjust my BC very quickly, BPs take some effort to adjust and must be removed to do so. BPs are infinitely adjustable and also a real pain if you do.

No "hug" when inflated.

This assumes you are diving a jacket style BC, all back inflates (of which BPs are a subset) do not hug when inflated.

Often far less expensive than many "full featured" bc's

If you compair a BP to the "tech" bcs then this a fair statement, however many of us don't use or want one of the "tech" BCs...frankly if I was doing tech I would want a BP. If however, you compair features to features the the BP is on par and often more expensive than many BC's, esp if you use a SS back plate. Do a quick scan of Scubatoys and add up to cost. Be sure to include the cost of tank bands and pockets and weight belts and a STA if needed. Compair Halcyon equipment and the BP does not come close.

Crotch Strap allows the BP&W to remain stable, and not ride up at the surface.

And a crotch strap does the same thing on any BC....which is why my BC has one.

I don't dislike BPs, they are great pieces of equipment and if diving doubles they are by far the better choice. For single tank diving they will also so a fine job but a quality back inflate BC will do the job just as well plus add some creature comforts that many of us like. Quick easy adjustments, intergrated weights and a pocket or 2 for are really nice features I like on a BC...none of which a BP offer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom