BP/W Crotch Strap -- is it really necessary ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm with Peter. I like my shoulder straps a bit long for ease of doffing and donning (and for balance in doubles) and the crotch strap keeps the whole rig stable. I have never noticed any discomfort with it, even diving in a thin wetsuit (which I admittedly do seldom).

One more for allowing a loose harness while not compromising surface lift. That looseness can translate to ease in donning/ doffing and general flexibilty. It saves you from diving like you are strapped to a backboard. I suppose for some body types it's not needed just as I'm sure some who could benefit have not adpoted it.

Pete

That is why I prefer a harness that slides through the lower slots. The shoulder straps tighten by pulling the belly-band, but are loose to don or doff. Shoulder straps that have individual length adjusters seem overly complex to me.

A shoulder release on one side was very common in the mid-1960s-1980s, but the argument against them as a failure point is valid. For lower slots to work properly they have to provide significant resistance to sliding when there is tension on the shoulder straps. They should only pull through with some resistance when the weight is off the straps. The buckle failure would be too problematic if straps slide too easily, especially under load.

Although this could be considered off-topic, it points out that the whole harness is a system centered on the individual. Small changes can have significant effects.

I agree. I make my harness adjustable. As for the crotch strap, i really dislike having to deal with it on a pitching boat. It is a pain to use and I am old school and prefer to have my weightbelt unencumbered. I expereimneted a lot. I found that for warm water where I have minimimal air in the wing, i don't mis the crotch strap. for cold water where I am wearing a lot of lead, a thick suit, then I NEED to have a bunch of air in the wing at depth. The rig becomes too sloppy for my liking in those conditions and I generally choose to add the crotch strap.

I like having the shoulder straps loose. I have a bad shoulder and it enables me to slip into it. The crotch strap snugs it all tight. The crotch strap does not bother me, and I dive thin wetsuits year round.

Just to reiterate what others have already said, it you don't feel you need one then you don't. Single tank diving I never wear one, drysuit or tropical wetsuit. And I leave my shoulder straps very loose. However, I do tighten up a bit my waist strap. Tropical wetsuit diving I seem to spend more time inverted, with my feet straight up in the air and my head a bit off the bottom looking into this hole and that cranny. Never felt I was going to float up out of my rig, and ALL of my weight is attached to my rig (I don't wear a weight belt). Drysuit double-tank diving here is CA I always wear a crotch strap. Though I am not absolutely certain I even need it, especially since I ain't going feet up in my twin 100 rig, at least not anytime soon if I can help it.

A crotch strap with a D ring in front also provides a central point to attach a reef hook.

I love those things, when someone forgets to bucket it on I can step on it and make him fall on his ass lol!

For those of you who are fortunate enough to have enough middle ballast to make the make the waist buckle go nearly horizontal you don't need the crouch strap cus the muffin top will keep the bcd in place.

For us reed thin folks, no crouch strap and the bp/w might pop off like a cork on the surface.

Back
Top Bottom