BP/W: I officially don't get it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are lots of dive shops in SoCal that carry BPW of some sort, but it's only one or two representatives in the whole line of BC, and for some reasons they don't push the BPW to the new divers. Maybe push is too strong of a word, but they don't recommend it to new divers for whatever reasons.

World Aquatics in Bakersfield is a Dive Rite dealership (I think - I see ONE Transplate rig in their shop for display). I asked the owner why not carry more and he said that new divers who visited the internet already came with the pre-notion that a BPW will push you face down into the water and drown you.

I love my BP/W and will never go back to a jacket style BCD but I did the work involved to get the most out of the BP/W. Not just pulled it off the shelf and dropped in the water.

The main thing your missing in this thread is the BP/W needs some time to adjust and get it right. Might take 2-20 dives to get it set up right. This should be done with a instructor / dive master to fine tune everything. Think of buying golf clubs off the shelf or getting a custom fit. This is a huge difference and you have to make a commitment. A little time and effort up front will pay off in the end.

If it's worth doing then it's worth doing it right! Now where did I hit that ball? :D

Last edited:
fnfalman ... did you ask them if they had tried to educate them?
.... maybe just having them would encorage more discussions

Mayer ... in the water, where else?
:laughing:

Recently took the plunge and bought a Halcyon BP/W set-up after reading all the "sturm and drang" on this board for years. My verdict: it's OK, but barely different (if at all) from a basic, pedestrian BC.

I'm with you... Admittedly, I don't have more than 10 dives on a non-BP/W system but I can't imagine that in a garden variety recreational dive that a BP/W is anything significantly different than say a back inflate BC. Which in my mind begs the question, why aren't more dive shops offering BP/W systems as a viable alternative?

I mean, have you noticed how much effort BC manufactures put in to come up with an array of BCs? I just peeked at the Mares website and saw no less than 15 variations of BCs. Scubapro has at least 6 variations. Aqualung has at least 9 not counting their Apeks line. Zeagle has at least 8 different BCs in their recreational line and 3 in their heavy duty line.

Maybe I got dropped once too often when I was a kid but I struggle to understand the differences between any of these BCs. Okay, I get that some of them squeeze the life out of you when you inflate them and others are back inflate but other than that, it seems like mostly frou frou. It seems like an incredible headache trying to figure out which BC will best fit my needs not only today but tomorrow.

Give me good diving conditions and interesting marine life and, frankly, I couldn't care less about equipment (providing it's safe, of course).

So, I don't get it. Why don't people on this board care more about what they're seeing underwater instead of worrying about what they're wearing?

My guess is that plenty of divers tend to enjoy the gadget factor so a lot of discussion is had over gear. I suspect the discussions of BPs vs. non-BPs are no more common than say Air2 vs. octo or pony bottle vs. spare air or split fins vs. paddle fins.

Last edited:
bp/w's are really versatile. the bc's are excellent for divers with a little more experience. Bp/ws really allow you to achieve best buoyancy, by laying you horizontally, fine tuning the air in the bc and allowing you to use the air in your lungs to rise and fall through the water collumns. if your into stuff like photography and writing stuff on slates, then no, theyre probably not right for you.

bp/w's are really versatile. the bc's are excellent for divers with a little more experience. Bp/ws really allow you to achieve best buoyancy, by laying you horizontally, fine tuning the air in the bc and allowing you to use the air in your lungs to rise and fall through the water collumns. if your into stuff like photography and writing stuff on slates, then no, theyre probably not right for you.

I am big into photography (but not writing on slates :wink:). I have no idea why you think BP/Ws are a bad idea for photographers? Would be interested in some elaboration given I use a BP/W now and find it a great deal more comfortable than the jacket or back-inflate BCs I have used in the past.

I'm with you... Admittedly, I don't have more than 10 dives on a non-BP/W system but I can't imagine that in a garden variety recreational dive that a BP/W is anything significantly different than say a back inflate BC. Which in my mind begs the question, why aren't more dive shops offering BP/W systems as a viable alternative? QUOTE]

My first impressions ......

The one thing I noticed right from the start is a lower SAC rate. Even though my rear inflation BCD was set up very clean it can not come close to how clean the BP/W is. Of course I dive with in the DIR equipment guide lines. The other thing was I needed 3lbs less to sink the BP/W. After a bunch of adjustment dives I have much more control in the water then before. This is just my experience with the BP/W.

Why are people talking about "rear inflation" BC's? The whole point about them is that they provide wrap-around inflation. It's wings that are rear inflation.

Why are people talking about "rear inflation" BC's? The whole point about them is that they provide wrap-around inflation. It's wings that are rear inflation.

Ahhh, no. Rear inflation BC's, sometimes called Tech BC's, have the bladder in the back, just like a wing. Jacket style BC's are the wrap-around bladders.

So, I don't get it. Why don't people on this board care more about what they're seeing underwater instead of worrying about what they're wearing?
Because seeing things underwater is only a part of the experience of diving. The other part is being there, and some people are particular about how being underwater *feels*.

By way of analogy, you could do a cross country road trip with 4 friends in a compact economy car, in a convertable muscle car, or in an RV. You'll see the same stuff either way, but the experience will be very different depending on your choice of equipment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom