BP/W is just a tool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Once again, you've made my point. Some tools are right for some jobs and some tools will work just fine one way or another.

If you start posting about the gear needs of pro or top ameteur photographers, I might just have to agree with you.....the horror :D

DanV

If you start posting about the gear needs of pro or top ameteur photographers, I might just have to agree with you.....the horror :D

DanV

I am neither pro or top amateur. My swimming position is horizontal, but my preferred position when recording video is vertical or angled. In my humble opinion, the best BC for photo/video is one that allows you to be in any position and stay perfectly still. Horizontal, vertical, angled, on your side etc..

Last edited:
One style has limited functionality and significantly more drag, the other not...

Could you link us to some data that supports one STYLE BC as having significantly more drag than another STYLE?

I am of the opinion that if the average drag of every BP/W BC used worldwide in 2010 was compared to the average drag of every BI BC used worldwide in 2010 and also compared to the average drag of every Vest BC used worldwide in 2010 we would end up knowing that all BC STYLES are a drag and the STYLE that accommodates twins and stages CAN'T possibly be the STYLE with least drag. :)

That should be good for several more pages! :popcorn:

Last edited:
Funny how every time I watch those oceanic documentaries about sharks, fish, reef, ad infinitum, most of these photographer/videographer divers use the poodle jackets yet they moved effortlessly through the water while handling these ungainly devices and capturing great shots of marine life.

Sounds like it's an operator's issue than an equipment's issue.

The poor diver will always blame his/her equipment.

You mean like this one?? Camera pilot is Evan Kovacs of Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution. Camera is an earlier version of the HD 3D mosaic camera he recently used on Titanic. Rig is a rebreather on a plate. Photo is by Tamara Thomsen.

P.S. Check out some of her other pics for nice shots of just about everything, but if you've ever wondered about Great Lakes wreck diving there are some great shots there.

Picasa Web Albums - Tamara Thomsen - WHOI Returns

Last edited:
Post any picture of a jacket BCD wearer for comparison viewing and the point will be made. Hopefully, the photo will be smaller then this one preventing another page jam...

halemanō;5534615:
Could you link us to some data that supports one STYLE BC as having significantly more drag than another STYLE?

I am of the opinion that if the average drag of every BP/W BC used worldwide in 2010 was compared to the average drag of every BI BC used worldwide in 2010 and also compared to the average drag of every Vest BC used worldwide in 2010 we would end up knowing that all BC STYLES are a drag and the STYLE that accommodates twins and stages CAN'T possibly be the STYLE with least drag. :)

So is Frank still with us? From how you described him, he'd be at the top of anyones list!

ATTENTION: THIS IS A SPECIAL REPORT!

I am pleased to announce that less than one hour ago I spoke with the living legend himself, Mr. Frank Hammett, and he said to tell everyone that while he has now given up diving, he is alive and well and in good health!

After reading what Dan wrote about Mr. Hammett and also reading the article linked about him, I guess I had to know if he was still among us. So after a little internet research and knowing he may be in Virginia, I found a phone numer and called and left a message. Lo and behold he returned my call and I think he really got a kick out of my phone call and I could tell it made him feel very proud that his name was mentioned as being one of the all time greats in the sport.

Dan, he remembered you and told me to say a special hello to you and hoped all was well with you!

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming!

Post any picture of a jacket BCD wearer for comparison viewing and the point will be made. Hopefully, the photo will be smaller then this one preventing another page jam...

Well I am only using; 15" PowerBook, 13" MacBook &/or a 19" Viewsonic wide screen monitor and with all 3 screens I have the web browser sized smaller than the screen (wallpaper border left, right and bottom) and Sas's linked photo is not a page jam for me, but just for the rest of you who may not know how to set resolution, I spent some time photoshop-ing her photo and loading it into my SB photo's, in violation of TOS (so don't expect this photo link to last forever), so we could have this comparison;

The whole affair reeked, and this alone should demonstrate that Gear Tests in big print magazines are no more than a sick joke.

Regards,
DanV

I take "gear tests" from any magazine with a grain of salt. As a motorcycle enthusiast and a smallarms/shooting enthusiast, I generally laugh whenever I read the "10 Best Performance XXXX".

I started diving in a Zeagle Ranger, then tried someone's BP/W system and simply liked it better. Therefore, when people ask, "what should I get" I suggest that they try a BP/W because they might also really like it--even for warm water use.

For taking the time to share my experiences, I have been called stupid, brainwashed, and once even a shill for a backplate manufacturer, I think.

Back
Top Bottom