BP/W & Long Hose In a PADI IE Exam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks guys. Appreciate the advice and insights, albeit rough at times :). Been diving on a HOG/DIR setup since the 90s as DM and while Tec Diving. The rig is second nature to me. However, for the IE, I'll make the adjustments to make it easier for the IE process and fellow IE candidates.

I plan to do the following:

1. Keep the BP/W.

2. Remove the crotch strap.

3. Change the 7ft long hose to a 40 inch hose and make it the "Octopus" alternate air source clipped on the right chest DRing.

4. Use my existing necklace reg as the primary but remove the necklace.

So all I'm changing is removing the crotch strap and the long hose (replacing it with. 40 inch hose). Is 40 inch the right length for an Octopus? Will this new setup work?

Thanks.

An experienced diver, and consequently, a good instructor, should be able to don ANY backplate/wing, BC, horsecollar, reg hose setup, alum/steel cylinder, etc. and be comfortable in the water. If not, see the first three words of the first sentence.

An experienced diver, and consequently, a good instructor, should be able to don ANY backplate/wing, BC, horsecollar, reg hose setup, alum/steel cylinder, etc. and be comfortable in the water. If not, see the first three words of the first sentence.

Have you done an IE? If not, you are missing the point here....it is not all about you, the diver. If you HAVE done an IE, you are still missing the point....

Have you done an IE? If not, you are missing the point here....it is not all about you, the diver. If you HAVE done an IE, you are still missing the point....
I would think it should be all about the future students of the instructor candidate....Do we agree on this?

And if in agreement, then why not have an exam that will show if the Instructor candidate is qualified to teach students using the bp/wing systems? I think we can all see that qualifications to teach students in Jacket style traditional systems, CLEARLY does NOT suggest that such instructors are capable of "teaching" students in the BP/Wing systems.

I would think it should be all about the future students of the instructor candidate....Do we agree on this?

No, we don't.

The IE is about jumping an immediate hurdle, not about proving one's worth in all things in the future. In fact, I would suggest there is very little correlation between one's worth as an instructor and one's performance in the IE. The IE shows you can do certain things to certain standards....most of one's teaching career is about doing more than that and doing better than that. Do we agree?

why do you need to remove the crotch strap?

There are several water skills. During the IE, the examiner will hand you your skill assignment. You will be evaluated on how well you "teach" the skill to a simulated class of new divers. This includes explaining the steps and demonstrating it in a slow exaggerated fashion. You're scored from 1 (lowest) to 5 (highest).

One of the skill is weight belt removal and replacement underwater. In a Hog rig, the crotch strap gets in the way and is an added step that your Jacket BC simulated "students" don't have. In real life Tech diving you don't wanna lose your weight belt due to deco and the crotch strap holds it if it accidentally comes off. The crotch strap is also an added step in scuba unit removal replacement. It's not that it can't be done, it's just an added step that you need to awkwardly explain during the IE demo to a class of non crotch strap users.

---------- Post added February 9th, 2015 at 03:39 PM ----------

Lemke, see post 47. It's about the IE process. Let us know if you want to know what an IE is.

---------- Post added February 9th, 2015 at 03:49 PM ----------

And if in agreement, then why not have an exam that will show if the Instructor candidate is qualified to teach students using the bp/wing systems? I think we can all see that qualifications to teach students in Jacket style traditional systems, CLEARLY does NOT suggest that such instructors are capable of "teaching" students in the BP/Wing systems.

Dan, I agree with your points. The problem is an IE candidate on a HOG rig needs to demo the assigned skill to a group of "students" who are on Jacket BC rigs, and the students have to perform the skill you demoed to them. It's the IE process. If all of the participants are on Hog rigs, then it's a non issue.

No, we don't.

The IE is about jumping an immediate hurdle, not about proving one's worth in all things in the future. In fact, I would suggest there is very little correlation between one's worth as an instructor and one's performance in the IE. The IE shows you can do certain things to certain standards....most of one's teaching career is about doing more than that and doing better than that. Do we agree?

OK, you surprised me with this one...in a good way :)
And we are in agreement that " most of one's teaching career is about doing more than that and doing better than that " ..

The downside is that it still leaves us with no good way for a PADI Instructor candidate, to position themself, as good at teaching for a shop catering to Apeks, DiveRite and Halcyon type product lines.
It might even suggest that a PADI instructor candidate that wants to develop and prove such skills, might be advised to get an additional Instructor certification from NASE, or some other training organization that has thought through the needs of teaching students wearing bp/wing systems. Thoughts?

Precisely !!

---------- Post added February 9th, 2015 at 03:49 PM ----------

Dan, I agree with your points. The problem is an IE candidate on a HOG rig needs to demo the assigned skill to a group of "students" who are on Jacket BC rigs, and the students have to perform the skill you demoed to them. It's the IE process. If all of the participants are on Hog rigs, then it's a non issue.

Great answer.....and to me, this suggests that PADI ought to create a specialty that can be added on to the exam for an extra certification....for teacher and students all in hog rigs. I'd say either this, or an additioanl certifying agency that will cover this....But to most PADI instructors, it would be more desirable to have PADI do the whole thing than to have to add another agency cert.

Back
Top Bottom